Transgender Athletes

95 watchers
Jun 2022
11:44am, 23 Jun 2022
6,959 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I think we are verging into arguments that no longer apply or are of the type of "Bad people did X, therefore anyone proposing anything I am deciding is like X is bad".
Jul 2022
12:57pm, 6 Jul 2022
27,915 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
BBC just posted this from British Triathlon - new 'open' category, preserving the female category "for those who are female sex at birth":

bbc.co.uk
Jul 2022
1:05pm, 6 Jul 2022
33,889 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Excellent news!
Jul 2022
1:15pm, 6 Jul 2022
1,903 posts
  •  
RooA
Well done British Triathlon. I hope others follow suit.
Jul 2022
1:25pm, 6 Jul 2022
104 posts
  •  
hellywobs
I think that parkrun is primarily a social good where I don't see any real safety issues and inclusion outweighs fairness broadly speaking (it's not even a race!). I think that some flavour of self-identification is pretty much inevitable there. Parkrun HQ can ask for specific limitations if they want but can't police them anyway

True. There is at least one parkrun where the female course record is held by a transwoman though, and it must be annoying for the next fastest woman - at the pointy end of parkrun, these things do matter! At least the runner concerned has said she would never run in an elite race unless there was a non-binary category (she was a good male runner, and is now an extremely good female runner, though wouldn't challenge Paula Radcliffe in her prime).

I agree with British Triathlon's policy, it seems the fairest approach to me and doesn't exclude anyone, while protecting the biological female category.
Feb 2023
3:13pm, 3 Feb 2023
2,043 posts
  •  
auburnette
Thankyou UKA for this clear-eyed explanation of the issues. theguardian.com

And especially for this:
"The category of “women’s athletics” arose as a way of enabling the inclusion of women in athletics. Women who wished to compete in athletics could not do so fairly with men, because of the physical advantages men enjoy due to their (male) biological sex. Therefore, the decision was made to create a separate, sex-based category in which people of the female sex could fairly compete against one another. The category of women’s sport arose not as a response to women’s social role or personal gender identity, but to ensure fair competition amongst female athletes by eliminating the advantages enjoyed by male athletes on account of their sex."

UKA's position is consistent with the recent Haldane judgement on the effect of a GRC. This is one of the reasons why there is currently a petition to clarify that references to "sex" are references to biological sex rather than legal sex. petition.parliament.uk
Feb 2023
3:35pm, 3 Feb 2023
20,129 posts
  •  
larkim
Thought the UKA doc was very clear; a model of summarily covering the issue's key challenges. Really interesting to see their summary of the difficulties of the two pieces of legislation too.

A move to "open" and "female" categories feels like the right balanced answer, though I fully expect disagreement will continue.
Feb 2023
3:37pm, 3 Feb 2023
2,281 posts
  •  
paulcook
Agree larkim.

Can't help but feel this will potentially end up in court at some point unless further clarity reached.
Feb 2023
3:46pm, 3 Feb 2023
2,104 posts
  •  
RooA
That was my favourite paragraph too, auburnette.

The laws around this need serious clarification now. Starting with the definition of "sex" in the EA, as per the petition from Sex Matters. I'm glad to see UKA acknowledge this and not shirk around or advocate a fudge.
Feb 2023
4:13pm, 3 Feb 2023
20,130 posts
  •  
larkim
I still struggle with the concept that I might have a son who transitions and who finds themselves in a position where to all intents and purposes they appear and behave "female", have legal recognition via a GRC etc, cause zero concern to women in private spaces, demonstrate none of the male traits that cause women to fear men etc and yet when they turn up to a local athletics meeting they have no choice to run in the women's races.

But I have to agree that putting their rights ahead of all of the other women they might race against is objectively unfair and must be prevented.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...