Transgender Athletes

95 watchers
11 Jan
2:42pm, 11 Jan 2024
22,957 posts
  •  
larkim
I didn't think it allowed you to make retrospective changes though? Though I've not read it recently.

Anyway, the runner in question is now showing with no gender position, so must have changed their gender to not be male or female.
11 Jan
2:43pm, 11 Jan 2024
22,958 posts
  •  
larkim
I guess this is what they've done - contacted HQ to seek a change maybe?
11 Jan
7:27pm, 11 Jan 2024
164 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
It is clear that MtoF transgenders have a competitive advantage having had a male puberty.
These advantages are only partially undone by testosteron suppression.
In order to be fair towards regular XX women these transgender women (born male) should not compete against biological females.
Male physiology cannot be reformatted by estrogen therapy in transwoman athletes because testosterone has driven permanent effects through early life exposure. The former male physiology of transwomen athletes provides them with a physiological advantage over the cis-female athlete.

But Parkrun is only semi-competitive, whether one should be strict regarding Parkrun is a different discussion.
11 Jan
7:45pm, 11 Jan 2024
16,079 posts
  •  
57.5 Days of Pain
There seems to be some consensus that protecting women's sport from individuals who have undergone a male puberty is a sensible dividing line. How you apply this to non competitive activities, in youth sports etc adds more complexity.

However what isn't in dispute is that deliberately not using someone's preferred pronouns visibly allies you with bigots and transphobics rather that those legitimately trying to protect women's sport.
11 Jan
8:26pm, 11 Jan 2024
165 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
I agree with both points, I would only add that a slip of the tongue is easily made and caution should be made not be overly zealous in calling people "transphobic".

And on a personal note, my MtoF co-worker prefers "she" and "her". I'm glad because "they" and "their" feels awkward grammatically.
11 Jan
8:26pm, 11 Jan 2024
22,960 posts
  •  
larkim
Hell yes to that last para.
11 Jan
8:27pm, 11 Jan 2024
22,961 posts
  •  
larkim
(lol post overlap - my comment was about 57.5 d.o.p 's post!!)
11 Jan
8:36pm, 11 Jan 2024
7,330 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
There is some vitriolic anti-trans language being hidden behind “protecting women’s sport” in some groups and it is very sad to see.
11 Jan
10:28pm, 11 Jan 2024
22,962 posts
  •  
larkim
Honestly, I think that's the worst part about it. I'm all for debate and challenge in issues, my wife will tell you I'll argue black is blue and vice versa on any given issue, but I would (I hope) only ever do that civilly.

It's frankly impossible to argue that you're only interested in the fairness of women's sport if you don't find some way of avoiding the tropes and intentional language used by those who are (overtly) anti-trans in a way which is more akin to blatant racism; simple, bigoted, prejudiced language that isn't based on anything rational, just gut hatred.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...