Transferring Race Places

1 watcher
Feb 2013
12:40pm, 12 Feb 2013
163 posts
  •  
Scooby Dave
We have a small group doing the half marathon on the 24th Feb. One if the group has not done enough training and hasn't been well and it would be unsafe for him to run. We also have another friend who would like to run and in fact missed the chance to do this race as it so popular, it closed for entries some weeks ago.

You would think it would be straightforward to swap the place over from one runner to another. Well, it is, or sorry was. The organising club say on the faq on their website, that this transfer of places was possible up until the 10th Feb. We emailed the transfer request on the 11th and were refused.

Now, I *do* realise that those are the terms as set out by the organisers but come on, putting a last date for transfers as 2 weeks before the race seems a bit too early if you ask me.
Feb 2013
164 posts
  •  
Scooby Dave
From their FAQ:

WITHDRAWING FROM THE RACE

Q: Can I withdraw from the race?
A: Yes you can but we are unable to give refunds as the financing of the race is based on the total number of runners that we can accommodate on the course. As all our profits are donated to charity we cannot issue refunds. It is your choice to run or not once you have entered but we are unable to refund the entry fee if you withdraw.

Q: Can I transfer my entry to somebody if I withdraw from the race?
A: Under no circumstances can race numbers be transferred to another runner. There are two very good reasons for this. Firstly, and most importantly, for health and safety reasons. If a runner is injured or falls ill during a race we will have the wrong personal details for them. Secondly, the runner’s result and position in the race will not be a true reflection of their ability and can seriously skew the final results. In 2011 we disqualified a male runner who had used a race number of a female friend, finishing the race placed as 4th female. Clearly this is unacceptable. However we are able to offer some flexibility here and will allow transfers for injured runners only; these must be complete by 10 February 2013. No transfers will be allowed after midnight on that day. Contact the Race Secretary on halfmarathon@twharriers.org.uk if you need to effect a transfer due to injury; you will be given more information on what to do.

Q: If I withdraw from the race can I transfer my entry to 2014 or any other future event?
A: No. The financing for each race is separate and so we cannot allow transfers between events.
Feb 2013
165 posts
  •  
Scooby Dave
I do have a lot of sympathy for the organisers of this race. They have been very unlucky in recent years with the weather and have to cancel races, reorganise, carry places over to a later year, etc. And I know it's all run by volunteers with the proceeds going to charity.

But, it's a popular race and is growing each year as shown by the fact it sold out so early (again). They state that they can offer "some flexilibity" but it appears only up to 2 weeks before the race. It's not as if we are trying to do swap numbers behind their backs.

So, with no option to transfer the place to 2014, no refund, no option to transfer the place to another runner, I now have a member of the group who is out of pocket by £24 and another who would love to run but can't.

--Rant over
Feb 2013
12:47pm, 12 Feb 2013
6,847 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Surely the organisers can expect someone to know whether they are fit enough or not more than 2 weeks before the race. I woudl understand if there were exceptional circumstances, I don't see that these are though.
Feb 2013
1:03pm, 12 Feb 2013
10,244 posts
  •  
Ultracat
The rules for the transfer of numbers looks clear to me.
Feb 2013
1:05pm, 12 Feb 2013
3,802 posts
  •  
Marts
2 weeks would seem fair TBH. It allows the organisers to spend the 2 weeks prior to the race finalising details, whilst probably doing a full time job too.
Feb 2013
1:05pm, 12 Feb 2013
18,174 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
My feeling is that in any one year I will fail to make the start of at least one race, probably due to illness. Once the money is paid it is spent. This is just life innit.
Feb 2013
1:08pm, 12 Feb 2013
47,060 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
a lot of races dont even allow transfer at all
Feb 2013
1:13pm, 12 Feb 2013
6,844 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
it seems harsh but those are the rules. As a race organiser ( not this race, another one), I know how difficult it gets when someone asks to bend the rules a bit, someone else wants a bit more and then you end up with an unholy mess. Make rules, publish them and stick to them, everyone knows where they stand.

Personally, I have lost cash when I pre-entered and could not run. C'est la vie
Feb 2013
1:19pm, 12 Feb 2013
3,804 posts
  •  
Marts
It may have changed recently but I think I remember reading somewhere that most races have about a 20% DNS rate.

I suppose if they did refunds that would result in a 25% price rise for everyone (based on the other 80% having to cover the expected income from the 20% DNS refunds)

How many of us would be happy with, in effect, a 25% insurance premium added to a race entry fee.

About This Thread

Maintained by Scooby Dave
We have a small group doing the half marathon on the 24th Feb. One if the group has not done enough ...