Transferring Race Places

1 watcher
Feb 2013
2:14pm, 12 Feb 2013
166 posts
  •  
Scooby Dave
I guess it is a challenge to organise a race and I know that it is well documented that this race is organised by volunteers with all profits going to charity. It seems quite a simple task to just change a set of runner details but I'm only looking at it from 1 pair of runners. If I had lots to change, it would soon get time consuming.

So many races do allow for this sort of thing so as to avoid injured or ill runners taking part, or try and deter people from swapping places "unofficially", maybe other races have more resources to cope with this sort of thing. As SoaPM put, they have published the rules and are sticking to them and as Ultracat states, the rules are clear.

It's just a bit frustrating that we found out and missed the deadline by a few hours.
Feb 2013
2:16pm, 12 Feb 2013
47,069 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
it is a shame, yes
Feb 2013
2:18pm, 12 Feb 2013
564 posts
  •  
ultrapaulo
How do you know they only have 1 pair of runners to transfer? You may only be requesting a transfer of a single pair but I bet you were not the only entrants! Personally the rules are very clear and very reasonable, many races dont allow transfers at all. Your friend should have either trained or said something sooner.

I ahve lost money through not being able to make races at the last minute. Would never expect a refund and I accept that once I pay my entry it is my responsibilty to train and then make the race. After all, they are putting the race on so are providing what has been paid for.
Feb 2013
2:43pm, 12 Feb 2013
3,806 posts
  •  
Marts
gmap-pedometer.com

Scooby Dave. Could your friend who is entered drop out at 3 miles and jog back (number off) along barden road and etherington hill, thus enjoying all the pre race stuff, getting in a 10k run in and then getting the beers in for the rest of you! ;)

I'm only suggesting that from the map ad those with local knowledge may say that route is unsafe.
Feb 2013
8:50pm, 12 Feb 2013
1,318 posts
  •  
CStar
But let's be honest we all know that unofficial transfers go on all the time and it is very difficult to check. It is fine until something goes wrong and clearly the organisers need to protect themselves from this. The only time I have ever had to produce identification was at VLM. I've done a fair number of DNS's, so losing my £, but have also run on other people's numbers including a certain Fetchie who would otherwise have been 4-5 months pregnant at the time. I can dress up, but generally not as a 5'2" pregnant woman :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Scooby Dave
We have a small group doing the half marathon on the 24th Feb. One if the group has not done enough ...