Training plan help - last four weeks

2 watchers
Sep 2012
8:29am, 4 Sep 2012
12,586 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Right, I've slightly mistimed things. My A race is Mablethorpe Marathon on Oct 7.

The way things have panned out is that I seem to have 4 weeks between my final long run (this weekend @ the Yorkshireman) and race day.

Between them I have the GNR which was originally going to be a fun day out, but which I'm considering having a proper go at as a final sharpener before the big day - that's 3 weeks out from race day.

That's giving me a run in, long run wise, of 26.2-13.1-?-?-Race.

2 questions:
1) Given that I fancy having a proper go at the GNR, should I do a mini-taper after the Yorkshireman, (say Recovery Monday, Session Tuesday, then easy 3 days?), or as my priority is Mablethorpe, should I just treat the week before GNR as normal?
2) What to do the two weekends after GNR? In the past I've done a 3 week taper 22miles - 2hrs - 1hr. Obviously on this occasion the Long Run, which will be a very good aerobic session, is a week earlier, and I anticipate, if I welly the GNR, that I could use some recovery. Should I pick up two weekends before? Or keep cutting back slowly?
Sep 2012
8:35am, 4 Sep 2012
2,386 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Yorkshireman is a tough outing. Your program of three races looks hard to me. First thing to do is to really be sure where your focus is and then probably listen to your body re recovery and tapering
Sep 2012
1:00pm, 4 Sep 2012
12,589 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Priority is with Mablethorpe, although I have a back-up plan. As far as the Yorkshireman is concerned, I have not aims other than to enjoy the day out.
Sep 2012
1:06pm, 4 Sep 2012
3,187 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
You might not be doing anything for the week after the Yorkshireman! As DT says, it's a tough day out! I know people who've struggled to walk the day after doing it :-)
Loz
Sep 2012
1:09pm, 4 Sep 2012
191 posts
  •  
Loz
I reckon, enjoy the Yorkshireman, easy week , blast the GNR, do a reasonably long run on the weekend 22/23rd, two week taper. Pb at mabo simple! But I would only ever have a two week taper anyway otherwise the taper madness sets in:)
Sep 2012
1:11pm, 4 Sep 2012
3,188 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Actually, you've reminded me that I need to find my hat and gloves for Sunday - I assume it'll be full kit required as usual, it normally is, even if the weather is good (RO's prerogative though, so no complaints)
Sep 2012
1:12pm, 4 Sep 2012
12,591 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Full kit being?

(ie can I fit it all in a Pete Bland bumbag?)
Sep 2012
1:13pm, 4 Sep 2012
12,592 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Like your thinking, Loz! You probably know as well as anyone here what I'm likely to be capable of.
Sep 2012
1:19pm, 4 Sep 2012
3,190 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Full kit is Jacket (not sure if windproof or waterproof specified - I always carry waterproof anyway), overtrousers (they may relax this one - again some races specify waterproof rather than windproof - I always carry waterproof), hat, gloves, whistle, compass, map and emergency food.

Sometimes they relax some of the requirements on the day - but they didn't last year and it was quite a nice day (I asked as I didn't really want to carry overtrousers). You could always email Charlie (RO) and check with him if you've got any questions.

It should all go in a Pete Bland bumbag - that's what they were designed for! All my stuff goes in my OMM one with room to spare.
Sep 2012
1:40pm, 4 Sep 2012
1,181 posts
  •  
trendy runner
Last year I did the full Yorkshire marathon on a single entry, then the following week I did GNR. The year before it was the Nottingham marathon a week before GNR. This year am not doing a marathon so it will be interesting (for me) to see if my time at GNR is improved. Its all in the mindset knowing that after the marathon theres another race a week after so keeps you focused. The Yorkie took me 5.45 hours to complete and I did go wrong a couple of times so that I actually did 28 miles

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Right, I've slightly mistimed things. My A race is Mablethorpe Marathon on Oct 7.

The way things...