Training plan...

5 watchers
Aug 2013
10:57am, 12 Aug 2013
1,968 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
Hi All

I imported a ready made training plan a few weeks ago and have been following it so far. But tomorrows run is this:

Start at MP 20 and increase to MP 10

I am reading this as "Marathon Pace" + 20% and increase to "Marathon Pace" + 10%.

Have i read this correctly do you think?

Cheers
Chris
Aug 2013
11:03am, 12 Aug 2013
26,542 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That sounds very plausible. MP + 10-20% is typical of the sort of pace that training plans suggest for long runs, and finishing faster than you start would also be mainstream advice.
Aug 2013
12:56pm, 12 Aug 2013
3,827 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Yep, that's straight out of a Pfitzinger and Douglas plan. First half at MP + 20%, second half at +10%. Sounds like the site has mangled the punctuation/symbols.
Aug 2013
1:08pm, 12 Aug 2013
16,636 posts
  •  
KTM94P
That was my aim yesterday but ended up being +8-9% with a slightly quicker second half. :(
Aug 2013
1:20pm, 12 Aug 2013
1,971 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
great, thanks - yes it is part of the P&D plan.
Aug 2013
4:36pm, 12 Aug 2013
393 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Supplementary question from someone currently unable to train owing to sprained ankle, but determined to come back stronger and train for a marathon:

How do you determine what your MP is/should be, for your first ever marathon? Or do you not worry about pace, and focus on building enough miles to get you through the distance?
Aug 2013
10:25am, 13 Aug 2013
9,516 posts
  •  
FitterStu
For a first marathon I would say concentrate on the miles.

Given that, knowing your marathon pace can still be useful. I think that you have to think about as two different things, though, your theoretical MP and your likely MP. These tend to be different for most runners (likely slower than theoretical) and are both determined by race times at shorter distances.

The McMillan calculator is probably best for your theoretical MP: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate.

Fetch himself has done some work to create a calculator that uses your half marathon time to predict a marathon time based on what Fetchies have actually achieved. You can find that here: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-calculators-improvedriegel.php
Aug 2013
10:29am, 13 Aug 2013
3,835 posts
  •  
paul the builder
If your first marathon is Spring next year, then it's far too far away to be worrying about that yet. Concetnrate on building fitness, gradually, to the point where you can run for an hour at an easy pace most days. Go slow, keep it at a conversational pace, and back off a bit if (and when) you feel a niggle.
Aug 2013
10:38am, 13 Aug 2013
1,980 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
As FitterStu says - use a shorter race time and bung it in a calculator.
Aug 2013
5:15pm, 13 Aug 2013
396 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Haven't done a half yet....

Can already run for well over an hour at an easy pace (or I could but for the ankle)...

I'll stop worrying about pace, and worry about getting back to running at all. Well, not worry so much as concentrate. Planning on making a gentle start with some gym-based cross training on Friday.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisThePuma
Hi All

I imported a ready made training plan a few weeks ago and have been following it so far. B...