Training pace - I don get it ...

27 watchers
Sep 2012
11:49am, 30 Sep 2012
3,569 posts
  •  
Almost Symmetrical
I think it is the breathing easily is the key and not pushing it when you see the signs of improvement. The second one is where I tend to fail:-(
Sep 2012
11:55am, 30 Sep 2012
4,726 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
22 miles at an avge of 8:38 today, felt pretty good aerobically all the way, it was my legs tiring....although I did see my HR drift upwards mear the end
Sep 2012
12:17pm, 30 Sep 2012
2,707 posts
  •  
Magpie Rob
Breathing easily is the key. That is how you can judge you are working in the aerobic zone. If running with someone else, you should both be able to chat.

If you have a HRM, you should try to keep below 70% WHR as far as possible. Improvements will come...
TT
Sep 2012
12:22pm, 30 Sep 2012
838 posts
  •  
TT
Think you need a certain degree of base fitness to use breathing/perceived effort as an effective measure mp. I thought I was running easy at what turned out to be over 80% whr.

Anyone had any trouble with injury dropping pace? I think I've got my first ITB pain after a week of dropped pace. Mileage identical to last week. Not sure what to think about this experiment.
Sep 2012
12:38pm, 30 Sep 2012
8,213 posts
  •  
James1982a
4-4 breathing TT 4 in l-r-l-r 4 out l-r-l-r
TT
Sep 2012
12:41pm, 30 Sep 2012
839 posts
  •  
TT
Thanks James, will try that.
Sep 2012
12:49pm, 30 Sep 2012
4,727 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
TT - opposite for me, running slower has helped me to manage existing injuries and keep running while over time building mileage and getting faster.Mileage wise I am almost back to the peak I once hit and Sept 12 is my 2nd highest month ever....although significantly slower than the highest ever month. 8:26mm v 8:02mm avge. Bear in mind that 8:02mm avge was in Jan 2011 when we had snow/ice covering the ground for 3 weeks so running fast was hard....
Sep 2012
1:37pm, 30 Sep 2012
1,299 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
Well done Clatters.

A highly simplified explanation is that when the heart is working at an elevated BPM but not high enough to feel hard then the hormones secreted when the body is stressed are not produced highly enough. These hormones have a direct effect on fitness by limiting mitochondria and capillary development, so if you run keeping teh stress low, mitochondria development etc. isn't inhibited.

Another lovely side effect is that you don't finish runs feeling knackered and you can run more in a week and are less likely to get injured due to the lower pace which is less wear and tear on the body.

You do have to make sure you vary pace though so your body doesn't get used to only running one pace. Once aerobic base hase been established then do a bit of speed work. you don't need much either, to see good improvements.
Sep 2012
5:25pm, 30 Sep 2012
1,300 posts
  •  
Ian M
Perceived effort is not reliable especially when you know you have a poor aerobic fitness. What feels reasonably easy can be surprisingly difficult for your body! I used a heart rate monitor to make sure I wasn't running too hard.
Sep 2012
6:34pm, 30 Sep 2012
2,711 posts
  •  
Magpie Rob
Not sure I like your explanation Ian though I agree using the HRM is more reliable.

Easy running is about making sure that you are only working your skeletal muscles aerobically, so you will be delivering plenty of oxygen-loaded blood to them. That way you can train for long periods of time without building your lactate levels. This allows the muscles to become more capillarised and increase the number of mitochondria so that in future they can process even more oxygen (increased vO2 max). They can then work harder without lactate production so one can run faster for the same perceived effort.

A low heart rate is just an indicator that you are working aerobically, it doesn't affect any hormone production. If you produce lactate, the muscles will demand more oxygen so the heart needs to beat faster to deliver that. But that lactate will inhibit mitochondrial or capillary development so no vO2 improvement comes from training too hard. If you can keep your HR below your 70% WHR, you can be sure you aren't doing that. Around 70-80% of your training should be within that zone with speedwork making up the rest.

About This Thread

Maintained by Clatters
OK, I'm prepared to get shot down in flames here... but here goes anyway !!

Although I've been ...