Training for marathons

2 watchers
Nov 2020
10:39am, 14 Nov 2020
2 posts
  •  
Kingsholm
Im thinking about starting a marathon training plan , I'm currently cycling to work every day which is 4 miles long. So would i have to change the plan if so by how much?
Nov 2020
10:46am, 14 Nov 2020
24,948 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
If that's something you've been doing regularly and are used to it, I probably wouldn't make an alteration to the plan. But there will be other opinions, many of which are far more qualified than mine :-) Good luck!
Nov 2020
10:53am, 14 Nov 2020
47,705 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’m with fetch. 4 miles of cycling isn’t a lot in the context of a marathon campaign

Good luck with your training and keep us posted :-)
Nov 2020
10:53am, 14 Nov 2020
14,158 posts
  •  
HowFar?
I cycled a similar distance to distance to work and just stuck with the marathon plan I was following. I just tweeked to to suit my situation. You’ll know your own body better than anyone so, if you notice any signs that point to overtraining, adjust the plan - take a rest day, or swap a hard session for an easier one. The plan is there to help, so use it as a guide rather than something that has to be followed slavishly.
Nov 2020
6:31pm, 14 Nov 2020
5,228 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
In a couch to [insert distance] training plan, the first phase is usually a 15-30 minute walk, so to cycle four miles is useful in getting the body used to exercise and in getting the heart pumping oxygenated blood around at a faster rate.

OK, it's not much in the scheme of things but it's still something in getting the training under way.
Nov 2020
6:40pm, 14 Nov 2020
49,778 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
You shouldn't need to change anything in the build-up period or the early weeks of the plan. Once you start doing really long runs and hard sessions you can review whether or not the bike commute is detracting from your training. I suspect it'll be fine. If you were riding 20 miles a day rather than four miles it might have more of an impact.
Nov 2020
6:50pm, 14 Nov 2020
37,624 posts
  •  
Nellers
Depending on your facilities at work and how your marathon plans works it might be an option to do some of those bike commutes on foot as your training runs. Cycle in one morning, run home, run back the next morning, cycle home.
Nov 2020
6:59pm, 14 Nov 2020
5,310 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Biking that distance sounds perfect recovery non-impact exercise.
jda
Nov 2020
10:29am, 16 Nov 2020
8,796 posts
  •  
jda
I would definitely try to swap the bike for running, it would be a great way to increase mileage and fit in training sessions if it's at all possible.

My first marathon I was still commuting and regularly switched my previous 12km ride for a run - sometimes taking a detour to do a proper long run in the morning. Usually took public transport home on those days! With 4m especially if you can store a bike at work you have lots of options.
Nov 2020
8:53am, 17 Nov 2020
2,050 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
I agree - Bike in and run home one day; run in and bike home the next and you have 2 x 4 mile runs under your belt :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Kingsholm
Im thinking about starting a marathon training plan , I'm currently cycling to work every day w...