Training for an ultra - quick question

1 watcher
Oct 2013
10:49am, 24 Oct 2013
7,287 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I'm training for the Thames Trot on 1 February next year - 50 miles. I'm happy with the running side of the training, but I'm concerned about neglecting the weights, core and cross training that I was doing previously. The plan I am using suggests two complete rest days - MOnday and Friday. These were the days when I did spinning, weights and swimming. So, what to do - would swimming and upper body weights be OK on one of those days? And perhaps a spin session on a Wednesday morning as I only have a 5 mile "jog" on that day?

I don't want to scupper my chances of reaching the start line injury-free by doing too much, but by the same token, I don't think not doing any cross-training is the right thing either. So, any advice greatly appreciated, thanks. :)
Oct 2013
11:22am, 24 Oct 2013
2,129 posts
  •  
Anna Bomb
I can only comment based on experience but I know when I'm ultra training I tend to find myself running 5-6x a week with XT on top and this gives me very few complete rest days, think I've had one in the past month. I think as long as your sensible and rest when your body asks for rest there is no problem with having days of XT rather than complete rest but if getting tired or niggles back off.
Oct 2013
11:23am, 24 Oct 2013
7,289 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Thanks - I'm used to not having many complete rest days, so that was my thinking.
Oct 2013
11:32am, 24 Oct 2013
69,836 posts
  •  
santababy
Keep up your cross ttraining, it can only do you good. BUT rest days are very inportant, especially when mileage is on the up and you're doing doubles etc
Oct 2013
12:27pm, 24 Oct 2013
7,290 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
So, do you think it would be better to drop the mid-week 5 mile "jog" for cross training? I'll be at running club on MOnday (usually around 7 miles including warm up/down, intervals), 7-9 miles on Thursday, long runs Saturday and Sunday. The other option is to cross train on Wednesday as well as run, which shouldn't be too much problem. ANd then maybe on a Friday and have MOnday as a rest day?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mrs Winkle
I'm training for the Thames Trot on 1 February next year - 50 miles. I'm happy with the running si...