Training for 10 miler

2 watchers
Mar 2017
11:47am, 15 Mar 2017
1,456 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
So, it feels very silly having to ask for advice on how to get round what used to be my shortest run, but I am where I am. I got out of running with shin splints for quite a while and was slowly building it up again when I got hit with flu and managed no exercise for 2 weeks, so was thrown back to square 1.

I've been running once per week at around 3-4 miles per run. That feels like my limit physically and I'm also aware that doing too much too quickly will probably see my shin splints return. I've also been going to the gym and doing 1 or 2 body pump classes per week and the odd spin class now and again.

I really want to do the Great Edinburgh Run on the 23rd of April, 10 mile run. If I can do this, then it'll give me more confidence for my half marathon in August.

How does this look for a rough plan?

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=456
Mar 2017
2:47pm, 15 Mar 2017
1,459 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=457 updated slightly.
Mar 2017
2:51pm, 15 Mar 2017
16 posts
  •  
AndrewD
I think the brutally honest answer is that there isn't enough time to get up from 4 mile runs once a week to doing 10 miles in one go, certainly without the race being a bit of a slog potentially.

But your proposed plan looks sensible in terms of gradual mileage increases and keeping all running easy, rather than having some bonkers plan to suddenly try and do 30 miles a week and 12 mile long runs!

Good luck with it!
Mar 2017
3:42pm, 15 Mar 2017
10,331 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I'm not sure how long 'quite a while is' but I usually find returning runners build up more quickly than you might expect. You plan looks very sensible and sticks to the 10% rule for your longest run. Assuming that you have no expectations on 23rd April other than to complete the distance, then, also assuming you can stick to your plan, and that you pace the 10 miles on the day very conservatively, I expect you will get round. More to the point is what you do alongside to try and prevent the injuries recurring - strength training, running on softer surfaces, checking your gait etc (all of which you may well have in hand of course).
Mar 2017
4:26pm, 15 Mar 2017
13,314 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Hmm. I reckon that if you can do 70% of the distance in training, you can get round on race day. But, I'm concerned that there isn't enough mileage overall. Would you consider some form of run/walk (there's a thread http://www.fetcheveryone.com/forum__56059__105__run_walk_run ) to increase your distance?

And do you know what caused your shin splints? Unlikely it was overtraining in distance; so, change of shoes, change of surface, change of speed? If you can avoid the cause, maybe you can run more?
Mar 2017
1:34pm, 30 Mar 2017
1,461 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Thanks for the advice folks. It's going well so far. There has been a little shin pain, but not too bad and very brief. I'm running cautiously and sticking to that plan.

Due to the shorter, more frequent runs, I am actually enjoying running again. It's easier to motivate myself out the door, as my runs are short and less painful.

I don't know the cause of my shin splints dvorak. It's something that's bothered me on and off for years now.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunningRonnie
So, it feels very silly having to ask for advice on how to get round what used to be my shortest run...