Training and working abnormal hours

2 watchers
Jan 2018
10:41pm, 7 Jan 2018
30,245 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Hello and welcome Steak-n-cake (great name)

Used to be ok with nights when younger not so easy now.

Day sleeping (reminds me of a REM song) is hit and miss sometimes good somtimes not depends on people in the house.

Fleecy yes thats a good thing providing you wake before sun goes down or run before you sleep.

Sometimes i struggle with that one.

Thanks for the link Flatlander interesting reading when shifts changed a few years back refused the early shift (6am start) 3 days a week as was still doing 2 nights a week. Was the right decision.

One bonus due to my work time usually goes quickly

Hope all is going well VP
Jan 2018
11:32pm, 7 Jan 2018
101 posts
  •  
DavieO.
I work the same shift pattern as Steak-n-cake only a 6-6. I only started this last September after years of 8 hour shift work where I found running easier to fit in. For me I find the vast majority of my running falls in the 4 days off. I find it hard motivating myself to fit running into the limited time between waking up and getting ready for work. Or after a 12 hour day shift.

I admire Steak-n-cake for taking on a marathon given those hours and the fact it can sap your energy levels. The good thing is that the days will have more light for most of your training time. And Loch Ness is a great event so you'll get plenty of encouragement.
Jan 2018
7:18am, 8 Jan 2018
4,346 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
Day sleeping tips from this former shift zombie of 19 years:
- make sure bedroom is properly dark, blackout blinds if necessary
- ear plugs can help if noise preventing or disturbing sleep

Good luck all
Feb 2018
4:59pm, 18 Feb 2018
444 posts
  •  
Steak-n-Cake
Hello again :) I had forgotten about this thread ! Thanks for the comments. I'm on 7-7 dayshifts this weekend. Managed a 3.5 mile trot after work last night - felt far better after than when I started! A run or some kind of exercise after a shift is usualy quite good for me - if I have the motivation to get going. Will be better in the light nights/mornings - planning more run commutes then. It's 6.5 mile each way - will alternate between car/bike/trainers somehow to help get my miles in
Dec 2021
8:30pm, 9 Dec 2021
13,830 posts
  •  
UltraChristmasTreeTrunc
I’ve had irregular shift patterns for over 10 years now and find post work runs harder to start from a mental perspective and harder to finish from a physical sense. I prefer to run before work as I’m sat down in a non physical job, it also wakes me up to be sharper mentally. It’s easy to use shift working as an excuse not to do anything or train particularly well. But I think with some thoughtful planning it can be much better as you’ve got more of the outside to yourself.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Night-owl