training and chest infection

2 watchers
Oct 2011
12:00pm, 27 Oct 2011
165 posts
  •  
Sazzahazza
I had a chest infection and didn't run again until I'd nearly finished the antibiotics, day 5 I think. My Heart rate was much higher and a slow run felt like hard work, mind you I do much less traininh than you so you'll be able to.get back into much quicker.
Jul 2015
11:21pm, 21 Jul 2015
943 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Went out on Sunday with a cough and struggled to 4 miles. I've now been told that it's a chest infection. Although I feel much stronger than when I have had chest infections before, experience tells me to wait until the medication is over plus another week or so. I was so desperate to do one race that I started training again too soon and after my first 11 miles back, strained a heart muscle which worried me sick for a long time after.
Jul 2015
11:46am, 23 Jul 2015
1,626 posts
  •  
Lyns
I just logged in to start a similar thread, but mine's "just" a virus i'm pretty sure - a horrible cold with blocked ears and severe sinus pain, then this stupid cough that's driving me crazy. I'm supposed to be doing the Forth Bridges 10k on 9th August and I've only run three times so far in July and all were pretty rubbish :(
I need to work my leg muscles or there's no way I can complete 10k on a month or more lay-off... i'm thinking of maybe doing a run/walk so that I don't get too out of breath (walking the hills).. any thoughts??
Jul 2015
1:00pm, 24 Jul 2015
206 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
I always thought the general rule of thumb was if it's above the neck it's ok to run a bit but below the neck, lay off until you recover. The 9/8 is still over two weeks away so if you get better soon, you could treat the race as just a run getting back into things and stuff the time! Run walk sounds sensible - just monitor how you feel on the day.
Nov 2016
10:20am, 3 Nov 2016
9,060 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Dragging this one out again.

Last week I had tonsillitis, ill enough to actually have to go home from work and couple days in bed (unheard of!) Lingered a few days but now my temp is normal and stuff, I just got left with a cold and cough. The cough is annoying people at work but it's not going to kill me. I'm training again but doing anything outside in the cold is hard as I can't really breathe so mainly been inside.

Issue is I have a 200k bike event on Saturday, I mean I don't think I have a chest infection or anything but the cough is on my chest and I sound like a smoker and it hurts to breathe in. Does that mean it would be silly to do it, (temperature looks cold and it's a bit windy on Sat, and it means being out in it 10-11 hours probably) I really want to do it! Or is it ok if I'm not feeling ill and stuff? Opinions?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by controversial
People

Need some advice here. I have been out of running since October 4th due to, initially, a f...