training and chest infection

2 watchers
Oct 2011
1:58pm, 26 Oct 2011
9,644 posts
  •  
controversial
People

Need some advice here. I have been out of running since October 4th due to, initially, a flu, and then for the last 2 weeks I have had a chest infection. I have been on antibiotics for the last 5 days and the symptoms are very much reduced. I think i am on the tail end of it.
I am starting to really miss running and I think it is affecting my moods, bearing in mind that i have got a fair amount of stress from work with some long hours.

My questions is: is there a risk to train if I am not 100% fixed? If i restart with some moderate training, is there a chance that i revert the progress in fighting the infection or even worse do myself some long term damage?

Thanks
Oct 2011
2:24pm, 26 Oct 2011
417 posts
  •  
Ian M
Be careful Contro... it can be dangerous to run with a virus.
Oct 2011
2:30pm, 26 Oct 2011
9,645 posts
  •  
controversial
ehh a chest infection is not a virus ... more like bacteria ...
Oct 2011
2:44pm, 26 Oct 2011
242 posts
  •  
Bun Face
If you really have to run use a HRM if you have one and run at recovery HR even if it means 11 min miling thats what I did earlier this year at least you get out the door
Oct 2011
2:57pm, 26 Oct 2011
243 posts
  •  
Bun Face
Oh and I would say yours is caused by a virus as it started as the flu...
Oct 2011
3:29pm, 26 Oct 2011
10,485 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Chest infections can be viral or bacterial, (even fungal, but then you are really fucked).
Viral infections can lead to a myocarditis (heart inflammation) that is often not noticeable as you do t stress yourself too much when you are poorly. This can linger longer than the chest symptoms. It would not be good to run if you had this.
Both bacterial and viral infections can lead to myocardial dysfunction through the various inflammatory mediators that the body releases in respOnse to the infection.
It would be bad to run with this too.

Most people would not have either of these two conditions to such a severe extent that it would prOduce symptoms unless they made their heart work hard.
You may have neither, and it's pretty impossible to tell whether you have anyway.

Standard advice often involves checkIng your resing heart rate and avoiding exercise until it has settled to normal. Runners don't like to hear this, and it may be over cautious.

The reality for you is that you are a pretty serious athlete, and I doubt that you have got this far without being able to listen to the signals your body sends you.

Start gently, but don't push it. I imagine a jog for you might still be fairly fast for some of us, but you should be able to tell if you are goosed or not.
Oct 2011
3:29pm, 26 Oct 2011
418 posts
  •  
Ian M
Chest infection will be bacteria yes but you said you had a virus which may or may not have gone.

Also, running with a chest infection isn't to be advised because it can drive the infection deeper and make it harder to get rid of.

Your choice though - if in doubt ask a (your)doctor.
Oct 2011
3:33pm, 26 Oct 2011
419 posts
  •  
Ian M
Basically that's what I was trying to say but I'm not as articulate or knowledgable as JohhnyO :-)

Like I said initially, be careful... You will be able to tell if you are in deep trouble - you won't be able to breathe. Hopefully you won't get teh heart problem though. Run to low effort/heart rate etc. stop if you get any bad symptoms and rest some more...
Oct 2011
7:28pm, 26 Oct 2011
9,646 posts
  •  
controversial
ok thanks guys, i will monitor my resting HR see what it is and if it is not right I won't run!
Oct 2011
7:32pm, 26 Oct 2011
14,523 posts
  •  
Mick n Phil ( The old Timers )
Contro - bloddy hell you must be bad not to be runinng

BTW - thanks for your supprt at Abo, even though we didnt make it

About This Thread

Maintained by controversial
People

Need some advice here. I have been out of running since October 4th due to, initially, a f...