Training after heart attack

2 watchers
Jun 2017
5:06pm, 26 Jun 2017
1,999 posts
  •  
twodogs
Bit of a niche thread this one....

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has resumed training having had a heart attack, there is obviously a lot of support however despite the fantastic help I've had from numerous medical professionals I've yet to get any concrete advice on how to get back in to it. Unfortunately none have been runners.
Jun 2017
5:08pm, 26 Jun 2017
36,505 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
I have no advice to give but...

Hello! :-)
And, are you OK???!
Jun 2017
5:11pm, 26 Jun 2017
2,000 posts
  •  
twodogs
Hey Bint
Yeah all good. Still here which is the important thing:)
I now know why my training was so bad for the last 18 months:)
Bit of a shock as I'm still very very very young...........
Jun 2017
6:11pm, 26 Jun 2017
25 posts
  •  
George Smiley
Hope you are making a good recovery.
I expect advice will depend on treatment and residual damage to heart.
Have you had cardiac rehab? Usually they are very good at getting people back to activities.
Sorry can't be much help beyond that, hope you are back running soon
Jun 2017
7:48pm, 26 Jun 2017
35,582 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
Fucking hell, tutu! Glad to hear you're ok but blimey!

The people I know who have had heart attacks go to cardiac rehab, they ought to be the experts. I think training to HR is pretty crucial in the early days, after that I have no idea. Have you been referred to cardiac rehab yet?
Jun 2017
7:49pm, 26 Jun 2017
8,336 posts
  •  
Ness
I have no advice to give but want to wish you all the best with your training.
Jun 2017
8:09pm, 26 Jun 2017
2,001 posts
  •  
twodogs
cheers all:) Fleecy your initial comment was similar to mine at the time:) Although its not like in the soaps!

I'm doing the cardiac rehab which is gym or circuit based depending on what floats your boat. Again though none of them are runners so its all a bit loose.....

Just interested in anyone else's experiences really.

I'm going for the take it bloody easy approach and have a HR monitor coming which seems to be the way forward. I even used the link:)
Jun 2017
8:26pm, 26 Jun 2017
547 posts
  •  
AndrewS
Glad that you are recovering well. I have known many people go on to run half and full marathons after MI.
The only advice that I would give you is this: the internet is not the place for giving/receiving medical advice, as everyone's circumstances are different.
I suggest that you discuss this with your cardiologist. If you are not due to go and see him/her in the near future then that is something to discuss with your CR team. If they are not able to help you then they should know someone who can.

Good luck
Jun 2017
10:16pm, 26 Jun 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
rehydrator
First time I have been on a forum but had to make a comment.

I didn't have a heart attack but had a double bypass in 2014. I suppose recovery depends on if your heart tissue was damaged but in my recovery it was like starting running all over again. After a few weeks I tried jogging/walking between lampposts at about 15 min/mile and managed 2 reps. but I was over the moon at starting my come back. The trick is to listen to your body. If you get breathless your heart is working too hard so walk a bit, let your heart slow down then run slower. Heart rate monitors are great too, the guys at cardio rehab will have told you what your exercise rate should be.
I guess hills and strong winds will always be a lot harder than they were and improvement was steadier than expected but I managed a half marathon last year in 2:10 and feel fitter this year.
Don't be impatient and you will be back.
Good luck
Jun 2017
6:32pm, 28 Jun 2017
5,445 posts
  •  
Pompey Paul
Bloody hell 2Dogs!!!!! No advice I am afraid, just hope your OK. Take it easy and come back strong. Pop into the 700 miles thread and keep us updated on your recovery.

The HR monitor is a good investment. I wear a Garmin Fenix 3HR (with a built in wrist HR monitor) and wear it 24/7. It's handy for analysing Resting HR as well as when out running/training

So, are you doing Hell Runner? :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by twodogs
Bit of a niche thread this one....

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has resumed traini...