Trainers causing calf pain???

2 watchers
Jul 2017
12:51pm, 8 Jul 2017
1,046 posts
  •  
LordWotsit
Hi all
In February I bought new trainers Asics Gel-Nimbus 16, after a few weeks in pulled I left calf I stayed off of it for few weeks and due to personal circumstances didn't run again until May. 2 weeks ago I had pain in my right calf which took a week to clear and today doing Parkrun I have pain in my left. I haven't run further than 5k and the pain seems to come at about 1.5 miles. Could the trainers possibly be the cause?
Thanks for your help
Jul 2017
1:04pm, 8 Jul 2017
15,067 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I'm no expert but I find it very unlikely that trainers could damage you in 1.5 miles. Far more likely to be you putting in too much effort in relation to your fitness, or to a poor running style.
Jul 2017
2:54pm, 8 Jul 2017
1,816 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Is there a change in heel/toe drop on the new trainers? That would be the only thing that I would think may cause to aggravate the calf.
But, I would say in all likelihood, Chris probably has it :-)
Jul 2017
3:30pm, 8 Jul 2017
1,047 posts
  •  
LordWotsit
Thanks I feel comfortable running 5k and at the speed I am. I haven't experienced injuries before so at a loss to work out why it's happening.
Jul 2017
4:58pm, 8 Jul 2017
35,803 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
Change back to some other trainers and see if you get the same thing?
Jul 2017
10:53pm, 8 Jul 2017
1,518 posts
  •  
FurryH
I once got this when changing to new shoes and ended up pulling calf in race. New shoes had no midsole support. Everything else, cushioning and heel to toe drop same just no midsole support. I linked injury to shoe and switched back to old shoe style and didnt get same problem again. I tried asics in shoe store once and they had high arches so didnt suit me.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by LordWotsit
Hi all
In February I bought new trainers Asics Gel-Nimbus 16, after a few weeks in pulled I left ca...