Trails in north east England

3 watchers
May 2015
7:26pm, 27 May 2015
15 posts
  •  
monotone2k
I've had a brief search and can't find much on here so I thought I'd start a new discussion.

I'm training for my third Great North Run this year, and so far have only run on roads and treadmills. I'm looking to include the occasional trail run (partly for hill training, partly because it looks really fun) but have no idea where to go.

If anyone can suggest a few accessible locations around Newcastle, it'd be much appreciated. I have a car but I'm hoping not to have to travel too far to reach some quiet and not too challenging trails.
May 2015
7:57pm, 27 May 2015
5,941 posts
  •  
flip
Not in Newcastle as such but old favourite route we call the Rendezvous Run in Whitley bay. About 8 miles.

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/routes-view.php?id=115845

Lots from the Derwent walk area , Jesmond dene isn't to bad either. If your ever over Seaham i have a lovely few

connect.garmin.com

one of my favourite routes in Durham and a race route (I'm the RD )

connect.garmin.com

All can be made longer.
May 2015
8:28pm, 27 May 2015
11,335 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
You need to learn to read a map. Buy a couple in 1:25000 scale. And be adventurous in mind.
May 2015
11:30pm, 27 May 2015
15,906 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Hardrians Wall and Cycleway starts at Wallsend and goes along the Tyne.

On the coast, there is a fantastic coast path all the way to Berwick on Tweed. There's a linear race along (part of) that every year.
May 2015
11:34pm, 27 May 2015
15,907 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Actually, there are a few off-road cycle trails (based on old rail lines - passenger and cola freight) in the Newcastle area. see here: sustrans.org.uk
May 2015
7:37pm, 29 May 2015
17 posts
  •  
monotone2k
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm checking out those links now! Anything between Newcastle and the coast is ideal, and the cycle trails will probably suit me perfectly until I'm ready to start tearing up hills.

I have an OS map of the area but will readily admit that I'm no expert map-reader. Then again, I'm not at the level where I'd want to go far off the beaten track yet.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by mono
I've had a brief search and can't find much on here so I thought I'd start a new discussion.

I...