Trail shoes for teenagers

1 watcher
Zeb
Feb 2016
5:28pm, 7 Feb 2016
833 posts
  •  
Zeb
Can anyone make any recommendations for trail shoes for teenagers / (slightly younger) kids. My boys are 11 and 13 and have just started to get into orienteering, and their normal trainers aren't providing enough grip. I'm loathe to spend a lot as they will probably outgrow the shoes before they wear them out. They are into adult sized shoes - one is currently a 6, the other a 7. I've seen Adidas Kanadia at sportshoes - do these come up small like the women's version? How is sizing on New Balance compared to Nike (their existing trainers)? Any other suggestions?
Feb 2016
5:42pm, 7 Feb 2016
82 posts
  •  
Kimmy Plodder
SportsDirect have a Salomon range that seen to be superb value? I've never run in them but for kids that are growing fast ... sportsdirect.com Hope that may be of some help.
Feb 2016
6:10pm, 7 Feb 2016
11,334 posts
  •  
Dvorak
If you can get the Salomons like Kimmy said, go for it. However, unfortunately I could only get one model (XR Mission) as the rest were just too tight across the foot, even in different sizes. They are so cheap because they are two or even three season's ago models, so it's not the usual SD "creative" price reduction strategy.

I find the NB are sizing a bit small now (although it could be my feet have expanded). Can't compare with Nikes, not tried any in ages.
Feb 2016
6:38pm, 7 Feb 2016
437 posts
  •  
StuHolmes
More Miles Cheviot 2s are very well priced and seem well reviewed. Only £25 at the moment, apparently they are just about to release the Cheviot 3.

And yes, I find the mens Kanadia come up small.
Feb 2016
7:53pm, 7 Feb 2016
1,258 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I'm interested in what you guys suggest too. My 11 year old son often runs a mile and the occasional 2k. He is thinking about doing the Junior Parkrun races and a pair of trail shoes may be a good idea. As his feet are still growing, I'd rather not pay out too much at this stage.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Zeb
Can anyone make any recommendations for trail shoes for teenagers / (slightly younger) kids. My boy...