Track or short lap ultra races in UK

3 watchers
Nov 2020
3:37pm, 19 Nov 2020
1,779 posts
  •  
Paul N
Belfast - 19/20 June.

Victoria Park is just over a mile loop, pancake flat 18 hours of daylight at that time of the year.

belfast24hrruns.co.uk
Nov 2020
3:43pm, 19 Nov 2020
49,885 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Ooooooooooooooooooh! A two-centre holiday in Ireland :)

(I've got the Belfast one pencilled in already. I was looking at it for this year, to tie in with a family visit.)
Nov 2020
3:47pm, 19 Nov 2020
1,780 posts
  •  
Paul N
Victoria Park is a great running spot VR, it's about 2 mile from me so I train there regularly.

Only issue it has is that it is a little exposed to the wind (sits at the bottom of Belfast lough, which is a bit of a wind tunnel) but hopefully that shouldn't be too much of an issue in June.
Nov 2020
4:16pm, 19 Nov 2020
356 posts
  •  
Shades
Vrap - I always fancied doing the 24 hour at Belfast too, looks like a good course. But I tried another 24 hour race a couple of years ago and suffered with stomach acid again and had to stop quite early. So just shorter ultras for me from now on, although I may try again sometime.

The Forest races at Portumna are lovely and well organised, I'll be going back some time.

The last 24 hour race I tried was at Listowel, lovely course round a park, good tarmac running surface. Don't think they have a website all on FB. Race was sponsored by a pizza company a few yards from the park, free pizza at 10 pm, lovely.

Paul N - I guess the breeze on that Belfast course could be a godsend for a midsummer race.
Nov 2020
5:07pm, 19 Nov 2020
49,887 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I don't think I'll be doing 24 hours either, though some sort of timed lapped ultra quite appeals.
Nov 2020
5:58pm, 19 Nov 2020
357 posts
  •  
Shades
Listowel was a 3, 6, 12 or 24 hour. Good thing about a timed ultra is you know when you're going to finish.

I think Belfast is 24 hour only?
Nov 2020
6:02pm, 19 Nov 2020
49,889 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I can't remember. Wouldn't surprise me if I'd taken a notion for 24 hours at some point over the last year even though I know I have neither the talent nor the attention span for really long races and wouldn't train properly for it.
Nov 2020
8:48am, 20 Nov 2020
928 posts
  •  
Muttley
The Madness of King George, in Hayle. Event page: bysvykenevents.vpweb.co.uk

Along King George Memorial Walk and back, about half a mile in each direction with an RSPB bird reserve on one side and glorious subtropical gardens on the other.
Nov 2020
11:10am, 21 Nov 2020
2,351 posts
  •  
Oranj
Just remembered, if you're in the south east, these events are worth a look runningmiles.co.uk Up to 6 hours, all on a shortish lap (usually around 2 to 5 miles)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by spinodal
Is there a web site/list for track or short lap ultra races in UK?

Thank you