Tour De France 2010

20 watchers
Oct 2010
2:08pm, 1 Oct 2010
11,980 posts
  •  
Old Croc
there was a theory at the time that Rasmussen didn't tell Mrs R where he was either - if you follow my meaning - he wasn't evding the testers!
Oct 2010
2:11pm, 1 Oct 2010
1,457 posts
  •  
Hohum
Another cracker was when Pedro Delgado was going to be booted out of the tour for a drug infringement, his succesful defence was that the substance wasn't banned in cycling until the September of that year.
Oct 2010
2:20pm, 1 Oct 2010
3,780 posts
  •  
Bez-head
Personally I wonder if they should drug test some of the spectators.
Oct 2010
2:25pm, 1 Oct 2010
11,907 posts
  •  
hammerite
I take it you are talking of mankini men, or the dude who runs with antlers on a helmet, Mr Dirk Hoffman Motorhomes - as long as they leave Didi out of the drug testing programme.

I saw him riding down Alpe laid flat out on his saddle with his legs stretched out behind him in full devil costume and flip flops!
Oct 2010
2:27pm, 1 Oct 2010
2,754 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'm not sure I buy this cycling is as clean/dirty as any other sport. Cycling is notoriously hard and drugs make more of a difference in this event. I mean no amount of drugs is going to turn Robert Green into Gordon Banks now is it? As Fignon emphasised in his autobiography, EPO offers a pathway for the average Tour rider (ok that's a pretty high base entry level admittedly) to become a world champion...David Millar anyone? Something they'd never have achieved otherwise. The likelihood of success is determined by an individual's response to the drugs such as Pantani whose base level stats were of an "average tour rider" but whose response to the drugs turned him into something superhuman.
Oct 2010
2:40pm, 1 Oct 2010
11,909 posts
  •  
hammerite
Will David Millar test positive for his silver yesterday? That's only one step away from World Champion, if like in 2008 Cancellara decided not to ride Millar would be world champ.

Drugs make no more difference in cycling than other sports. Yes there are certain drugs that would have more of an impact in cycling and the gruelling events, that you wouldn't see in other sports. But there are plenty of drugs that would be useful in other sports that people wouldn't use in cycling. You don't need to be a muscle bound hulk in cycling - some sports require it.
Oct 2010
2:50pm, 1 Oct 2010
2,757 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'd missed Millar's silver yesterday, but I must say the book Bad Blood casts some aspersions on Millar's holier than thou post drugs confession.
Oct 2010
8:00pm, 1 Oct 2010
12,158 posts
  •  
SPR™
news.bbc.co.uk interesting quote from Contador

"If they want to test every sample I've given in the Tour, as many different laboratories as they want, or if they want to freeze it for three or five years until other future tests are scientifically validated and then check it, they can do it," he continued. "I have nothing to hide."

If you got rid of the grand tours, I bet doping goes down. There's other sport that I can think of where recovery is a major part of the competition, and since that is the point of most drugs it would make more sense in that sport. Most other sports it is about recovery so you can train harder.
Oct 2010
8:07pm, 1 Oct 2010
1,871 posts
  •  
Top Duffer
nothing in the tests before or after the rest day, microdose on one day, nothing in samples afterwards.....I'm inclined to give Alberto the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Jan 2011
12:45pm, 27 Jan 2011
2,513 posts
  •  
fitzer
news.bbc.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by DrDan
Starts on Saturday ... and it's better than the World Cup ... or Wimbledon. :-)