Tops tips for upping the distance from 10km to HM

11 watchers
Jan 2012
4:00pm, 30 Jan 2012
6,075 posts
  •  
Maz Heeps
I think as well, because there are some awesom runners on here and a lot of my chums in real life are 6-7-8 min milers, it kinda skews your perception that you're not going fast enough.

I'm sure we will still be doing the 30 minute 3 miler/60 min 10k training run... but need to make a concerted effort to train slower over longer distances....

St Anne's sounds nice, there is a great womens only 10miler in march up here in the frozen north, which is my big training goal for now. Usually my half is at the end of the year, so have a good solid summer base to work from....
Jan 2012
4:09pm, 30 Jan 2012
63 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Slightly daunted by the word 'Ultrafit' in the title - 6 weeks to go? Achievable if I add about half a mile a week to my long run (and slow down of course)?
Feb 2012
8:24am, 1 Feb 2012
2,297 posts
  •  
Doctor K
The Ultrafit in the title is a red herring, after all I'm in it. Think it is a sponsorthat's all.
Feb 2012
8:25am, 1 Feb 2012
2,298 posts
  •  
Doctor K
and it is achievable if you can run 8/9 then it'll be fine. Last year I'd only run 6 miles until St Anns and the last 3 weren't pretty !
Feb 2012
9:07am, 1 Feb 2012
293 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I think you are too far away, but if you want a weekend away maybe, then the New Forest 10 mile in July might be good prep if you are running the half in the autumn? My half is in September so I thought the timing of the July 10 was pretty decent.
Feb 2012
9:42am, 1 Feb 2012
319 posts
  •  
Spleen
If you're having trouble keeping a slow pace that allows you to run further, there might be a very good reason - which is that it's freezing cold at the moment. Usually when running I err on the side of being underdressed, but for long runs I do the opposite. (Especially since a long run where I didn't do this, was flying and feeling brilliant at 6-7 miles, and completely ran out of energy at around 10-11.) If you wear more kit than you usually would, you won't feel the need to speed up to get warmer.
Feb 2012
2:40pm, 1 Feb 2012
66 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
That is a good idea Spleen - I did a run yesterday morning which was slow, but it was tempting to speed up in the cold - it was only short but I'll add more layers for my weekend long run. Thanks :)
May 2012
2:43pm, 16 May 2012
185 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Just thought I'd let my advisors here know that I've found a local 10 mile race to do at the end of July - that sits quite neatly with the schedule! I'm a bit nervous about coming last, but OH has promised to run it with me and let me cross the line in front of him if need be!
Found all your advice really helpful - built up to one 10 mile LSR a few weeks ago but tapered off a bit since for the Manchester 10k - am missing the longer runs more than I expected to though!
May 2012
2:46pm, 16 May 2012
1,668 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Good luck with your half AL. I suspect a lot of good things will come from running regularly and consistently as well as building up the mileage.
May 2012
2:54pm, 16 May 2012
797 posts
  •  
AdminLiz
Don't worry about coming last...as long as you enjoy it and finish that's what counts.
There will be other times when you can "race".

I came last in my local HM at the weekend...turn out was very small, only 56 entered down 2/3 on last year!
It was tough due to being on vacation in Canada doing nothing and only getting back to the UK Friday morning.
I knew I wouldn't be "fast", just finishing was the goal and I had a good chat running along side the "last runner" cyclist
from about the halfway point onwards!
I just kept telling the marshals they could go home for their cuppa tea/coffee now I had passed their station.

About This Thread

Maintained by Autumnleaves
I have run 10km races for some years now, but rarely run further in training - an update and a thank you...