•  
Diogenes
I’ve bought a Coros Pace 2 and I’m really impress with it
Aug 2023
11:00am, 26 Aug 2023
185 posts
  •  
HazelnutCH
Likely a good choice, I'm happy with my Coros so far. Decent battery life, GPS connects instantly and good value for money I found. There is a Coros thread kicking around somewhere if you have questions/comments
Aug 2023
12:14pm, 26 Aug 2023
81,010 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Thanks, Hazelnut, I’m already on it. :-)
Aug 2023
8:51am, 30 Aug 2023
2 posts
  •  
1aur
Thanks for the replies. My TomTom is a music sort so the battery life is still good. It's been 6 years but it seems a shame to ditch good tech.
Sep 2023
4:59pm, 27 Sep 2023
29,623 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Can anyone recall which date the TomTom platform officially shuts down? I've just checked, and it's not connecting me any more.
Sep 2023
5:25pm, 27 Sep 2023
81,647 posts
  •  
Diogenes
By the end of September is the nearest I’ve seen to a specific date
Sep 2023
5:28pm, 27 Sep 2023
29,624 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Cool - I won't totally fry anything at this end just yet.
Sep 2023
6:02pm, 27 Sep 2023
6 posts
  •  
darrenf
Oh, this is an interesting thread! If you'll indulge a Fetch newbie with an anecdote...

Way back in 2012 TomTom UK hired me as tech employee #1 of their new sports division. I was going to build† and run the team which would build and run - among other things - their Garmin Connect equivalent, i.e. what ended up being TomTom My Sports. I had to work my full notice at my current job though, during which time TomTom went very quiet.

When I eventually started, on my first day there was one contractor who had been writing the download system for watch firmware and an extremely rough and ready PC desktop client, otherwise nothing. After getting my desk, a bit of induction, being introduced to the hardware team and having a prototype watch lent to me I went for lunch, then came back to be invited to a call with some folk in the USA later on. I was told, oh, by the way - during your notice we got impatient - so you're not going to build anything - we're getting a white-label site built for us by a company in Denver, who will hand it over to us to launch and look after, Maybe I/we would hack on it, or maybe we'd just be an ops team, otherwise funneling bug and feature requests back to Denver.

It was written in a language I wouldn't have chosen, on an operating system I wouldn't have chosen ... they had changed the role so radically (and didn't seem to understand that fact!), I was utterly devastated. It was no longer a role I wanted or even felt able to do - so I saw no option but to quit immediately. I left the job at lunchtime on my 3rd day!

A few months later, in July 2013 when the watches were first released, DC Rainmaker had this to say:

The Website: The website is pretty rough right now. Really rough. Not terribly useful at all type of rough. The good news is that you can upload your .FIT file to just about anything else, including oddly enough even to Garmin Connect.

Even 10 years on I'm still salty about this. I'm sure I'd have done a great job there, and on a product I'd have been considerably more enthusiastic about than anything else I've worked on since!

† I mean build from scratch - there was no ambiguity at all about this, the watches themselves were only prototypes and they had no web expertise whatsoever.
Sep 2023
6:40pm, 27 Sep 2023
81,648 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Wow, what a story. Thanks for sharing it darrenf Such a shame it wasn’t done properly and you didn’t get your dream job.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
I'm probably a bit late with this, but I just noticed today when looking for support for my Tom...