Toe Socks, to relieve blisters.

2 watchers
Nov 2012
10:35pm, 20 Nov 2012
13,130 posts
  •  
DeeGee
My feet are a disaster area. There are mallet toes, the fifth of which slightly underlaps the fourth. The wife loves looking at them.

More seriously, the overlapping toes which are worse on the side that overpronates most, are resulting in blisters in every race of more than 20 miles, as the repeated percussion of the middle toe on the part of the fourth toe which underlaps is causing blood blisters to form and burst.

I don't think any of the deformities are serious enough to warrant professional help, as there are no other major problems, apart from obviously this one annoyance while running.

The blisters are causing issues with getting running the day after a marathon - which I need to fix.

Does anyone else have this problem? Would toe socks help? Any other ideas? Is it really worth the expense and inconvenience of seeing a podiatrist?

Currently I'm a big fan of my X-Socks, does anyone have any socks they would recommend?
Nov 2012
9:04am, 21 Nov 2012
1,533 posts
  •  
minardi.
Have you tried toe gel caps? They might stop your toes from crisscrossing as a short term measure?
Nov 2012
4:01pm, 21 Nov 2012
13,138 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Cheers min. I've got about two months to get some sort of handle on this or I'm going to have a terribe Quadzilla!
Nov 2012
4:10pm, 21 Nov 2012
3,498 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Wider toe box shoes? Mizuno are pretty wide at the front and stop my toes getting mashed, whereas they were totally shredded by some Brooks.
Nov 2012
11:18pm, 21 Nov 2012
13,139 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Good point. I don't recall ever having problems like this with my Mizunos. However, I can't remember if I ever ran a marathon in them. The problem I had with those was that the toe box was wider than my Nikes so I kept kicking myself in the ankle!
Nov 2012
11:24pm, 21 Nov 2012
5,976 posts
  •  
Dvorak
When I saw the title I thought you meant tiny little individual socks for each toe. Now of course I realise you mean those weird pervy socks :-p.

But it set me thinking, do tiny individual socks for toes exist? (Failing that, could you use one of toe separators people use when painting their toenails?)
Nov 2012
11:04am, 22 Nov 2012
186 posts
  •  
mmimi
Take a look at these socks - toesocks.co.uk I have used them for a long time now and very rarely get blisters.
Nov 2012
11:12am, 22 Nov 2012
1,173 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
dancedirect.com
Not sure if these would help - my real experience of skinned & blistered toes is from my daughter's years on pointe ballet shoes - they are pink though ;)
Nov 2012
11:12am, 22 Nov 2012
332 posts
  •  
LittleBigMan
Yes I've been considering trying some of the Injiji toe socks, although I rarely suffer with blisters. With much longer distances on the horizon though I reckon it's a sensible move.
Nov 2012
11:29am, 22 Nov 2012
2,209 posts
  •  
West Yorkshire Plodder
My toes slightly overlap - I have to be very careful how I cut the nails since I've had a few blood issues caused by friction with the corners of the nails. I use toe socks to run in (and all the time) since I like them so much - and it gives a little extra protection.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
My feet are a disaster area. There are mallet toes, the fifth of which slightly underlaps the fourth...