To wear or not to wear a mask?

11 watchers
Jul 2021
4:35pm, 20 Jul 2021
471 posts
  •  
Shades
I popped into Asda this morning and didn't wear a mask. Shop is large and airy and very quiet at that time, I went down 4 or 5 aisles and apart from one I was the only person in that aisle. I'd guess probably one third of customers and staff not wearing masks.
I must admit it felt lovely and those of us unmasked were smiling at each other, just felt so relaxed and safe.

I would wear a mask if I was on public transport especially if busy, and I do have a flight booked in a couple of weeks and will have to wear one on the plane and probably at airport too.
Jul 2021
4:41pm, 20 Jul 2021
61,495 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Funny. I went into Tesco earlier, put my mask on as usual. I'm pretty certain everyone else I saw was also wearing a mask.
Jul 2021
4:50pm, 20 Jul 2021
61,498 posts
  •  
Diogenes
What was funny was that I didn’t even think about not putting on a mask and, by the what I saw from others, neither did anyone else.
Jul 2021
5:13pm, 20 Jul 2021
4,764 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I think that wearing a mask is akin to covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze - not doing so is just rude and inconsiderate.
Jul 2021
5:16pm, 20 Jul 2021
1,805 posts
  •  
auburnette
I'll be wearing for the moment in enclosed indoor spaces where it doesn't need to come off (train, shops etc) but won't be bothering in restaurants etc as it's always felt a bit pointless putting a mask on for 15 seconds to walk to a table. Nor outdoors.
Jul 2021
6:13pm, 20 Jul 2021
4,766 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Definitely not outdoors auburnette. Not intending to go into any restaurants as I don't want to have to self isolate and with the current number of infected people that's looking increasingly likely.

Sharp increase in number hospitalised according to the BBC figures.

bbc.co.uk

and 'imperative' that pinged people self isolate: bbc.co.uk whilst also telling employers that it's not a legal requirement for pinged employees to do so - surely allowing them to pressurise staff into going to work when they shouldn't?
Jul 2021
6:20pm, 20 Jul 2021
16,241 posts
  •  
richmac
I'll continue with the protocols until the infection rate is a lot lot lower.

I'm also using the say nothing if you cant say anything nice protocol.
MsG
Jul 2021
7:16pm, 20 Jul 2021
1,887 posts
  •  
MsG
Bizarrely the chap who gets on the same morning train as me (wearing mask) was also on the same afternoon train. He didn't wear a mask the whole journey on a far busier train. Weird.
Jul 2021
7:27pm, 20 Jul 2021
26,314 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Perhaps his toothbrush is at work.
Jul 2021
8:21pm, 20 Jul 2021
6,776 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I took my son to the GP, collected his prescription from the pharmacy and grabbed a basket of shopping in Sainsbury's. Apart from one person in the supermarket, everyone wore a mask. A complete contrast to yesterday's trip on public transport where a good number of people simply refused to comply.

At the start of 2020, only adolescents and those with an attitude were wearing masks before being made compulsory in certain places. Now, it's the same people who are doing the opposite.

About This Thread

Maintained by Muttley
About 75% of people in my local supermarket (and all staff) wearing masks this morning. As I underst...