To wear or not to wear a mask?

11 watchers
Jul 2021
8:43pm, 20 Jul 2021
22,951 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
When we walked through Haltwhistle a couple of weeks ago (on holiday, so we were) there was a queue of half a dozen folks outside Barclays Bank (only-2-at-a-time-please) and they were all wearing masks. It looked for all the world like the James Gang was in town.
Jul 2021
9:27pm, 20 Jul 2021
9,620 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
I just went to Tesco. Put my mask on without a second thought, and so - it appears - did just about everyone else who was in at that time. It’s a habit now, I think.
Jul 2021
10:15pm, 20 Jul 2021
22,958 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
That's certainly what I've found round here ( on the odd occasion I've ventured out ).
Jul 2021
2:19pm, 21 Jul 2021
8,216 posts
  •  
CStar
Not wearing a mask in general. Prompted by medical friends/relatives, I'm hugely sceptical about their efficacy unless it is the right type of mask and worn properly, which the vast majority aren't. Most 'face coverings' pointless other than for reassurance, which is false anyway as we know in theory they are for protecting others, not oneself. I'll wear one out of courtesy on public transport, if crowded, for now.
Jul 2021
2:26pm, 21 Jul 2021
18,194 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Prior to covid 19 the wearing of masks was controversial -yes BUT an increasing body of evidence has shown they are effective - I'll lay this one here - on the study of masks taken from feb 2021 on reducing spread of covid 19 , which shows not just the reduced chance of spreading infection and also the viral load - mask material and tightness played a part, but the study didn't go into this.

jamanetwork.com

Of course after age, vaccinations, viral load is perhaps the next highest determinant on how badly you get covid.
Jul 2021
10:53pm, 21 Jul 2021
900 posts
  •  
Scorge
happy to wear them in poorly ventiliated germ traps (trains, shops), though not really into wearing them outdoors, AFAIK the basic epidemiology of less risk with UV/etc still applies even with the newer variant.

(cue me self isolating in a week...)
Jul 2021
8:19pm, 24 Jul 2021
2,266 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
Our graduations this year were peculiar in respect to mask wearing. Academics processed in wearing masks, then were told they could take them off while seated. Students paraded in with masks on, then could take them off while crossing the stage. Staff handing out degree holders etc all masked throughout.

I wore mine the whole time, despite being seated. The students are generally more conscientious than they're given credit for, but they are the least vaccinated group.
Jul 2022
5:38pm, 11 Jul 2022
149 posts
  •  
Rascal
Many of my family, friends, colleagues are all Covid + atm. Huge increase in cases. I've gone back to wearing a mask for shopping. Despite the 1 in 20 reported cases for population here, I was The only one wearing a mask in Tesco Extra today. A few hundred mask less people all shoulder to shoulder. Leaning over each other to grab items. Sneezing noises between shelves. I didn't stay long. Hardly surprising numbers are increasing.
Jul 2022
6:36am, 12 Jul 2022
2,727 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
Wore mine in the toilets at a festival at the weekend, I figured they were pretty enclosed spaces that lots of people were breathing into. I think I was almost the only one. It will be interesting to see if it was enough to avoid the lurgy given it was so busy that outdoor transmission might be possible.

Positive side effect was that an FFP3 also cuts out quite a lot of smell.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Muttley
About 75% of people in my local supermarket (and all staff) wearing masks this morning. As I underst...