To run or not to run (rash + swollen glands)

3 watchers
Sep 2022
1:38pm, 25 Sep 2022
1,984 posts
  •  
auburnette
Currently waiting for a call back from 111 but thought fetch might have some advice!

I'm due to do an 18 miler today, last big week of marathon training before Amsterdam on the 16th Oct. Got 3 X 20 and 2 X 18 in the bank already.

On Friday woke up with my glands around my ear and my neck swelled up and painful and a swollen rash on my forehead. Went to urgent care on my GPs advice, the doctor there thought it was an allergic reaction. However I've taken various different types of antihistamine now and there is no real improvement (she said it would probably be gone by Saturday morning).

Should I still do my long run? Worried in case it's actually something like shingles where doing a longer run would probably not do me any favours. If it's just allergies I'd be keen to do my run.

Here's what it looks like:

It feels vaguely tender to touch and occasionally stings, like a nettle rash, but not really painful or anything.

Thoughts appreciated, I'm sure everyone understands the desire not to derail the final weeks of marathon training ;)
Sep 2022
1:42pm, 25 Sep 2022
29,475 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Shingles - ask 111 for antivirals
Sep 2022
1:43pm, 25 Sep 2022
1,985 posts
  •  
auburnette
Oh bummer HellsBells, was hoping that wouldn't be the response 😬 I guess it would be stupid to run a long way if my body is fighting off shingles?!
Sep 2022
2:15pm, 25 Sep 2022
29,476 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Sorry, I said shingles as soon as I looked at the picture without reading the rest of your post.
I would avoid running myself, not least because sweat will irritate the rash, but I’ve been retired a few years now so Velociraptor will be much more up to date than me.
Sep 2022
2:19pm, 25 Sep 2022
1,979 posts
  •  
RooA
I'd skip the run myself. Already got lots of distance in the bag. Let your body do the healing thing instead.

Obviously not a doctor. :-p
Sep 2022
2:43pm, 25 Sep 2022
1,986 posts
  •  
auburnette
Yeah, I think 18 would be pushing it, might see if I can split into Hanson's style 9 today and 9 tomorrow as that doesn't really tax my body too much in comparison (I ran 8 yesterday and felt fine). Tbh other than a very slight malaise and the occasional stinging feeling where the rash is (it's on my scalp too) I do feel fine.

Was going to do a hard 10k on Weds as a sharpener, not sure if that is really advisable now :(
Sep 2022
2:46pm, 25 Sep 2022
59,924 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Looks like shingles to me too. Does your left eye feel at all uncomfortable? If it does, it would be worth having it looked at. Otherwise I agree with HB, ask for antiviral tablets.

As for running, I'd suggest not at the moment and certainly not a long or hard run. The most important thing is being fully recovered for your marathon. Some easy runs towards the end of this week and a longish run next weekend will probably be fine.
Sep 2022
2:55pm, 25 Sep 2022
1,987 posts
  •  
auburnette
Eye currently feels fine, but I think that is the reason I'm waiting for a call back from 111 out of hours, cos I had to answer "yes" to the question of is it near your eye. Hopefully will get a call back before all the pharmacies etc are closed for the day. At least I don't feel too unwell, it's just the sore glands and very slight malaise (rhr was up by a few BPM for the last couple of days)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by auburnette
Currently waiting for a call back from 111 but thought fetch might have some advice!

I'm due to do an 18 miler today, last big week of marathon training before Amsterdam on the 16th Oct. Got 3 X 20 and 2 X 18 in the bank already.

On Friday woke up with my glands around my ear and my neck swelled up and painful and a swollen rash on my forehead. Went to urgent care on my GPs advice, the doctor there thought it was an allergic reaction. However I've taken various different types of...