Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

To fundraise or not?

6 watchers
Oct 2015
8:18am, 4 Oct 2015
2315 posts
Mandymoo
Last year I had my own place and just raised whatever for the charity - they were very grateful, I didn't feel the pressure as there was no limit, which is the big pressure when you take a charity place. Good luck
Oct 2015
9:12am, 4 Oct 2015
1024 posts
Surrey Phil
I always fundraise at the VLM but not at any other races. I can't expect people to donate for every marathon I do. When I do, I try to make it different; i.e. double-up or fancy dress.
Oct 2015
11:00am, 4 Oct 2015
1892 posts
icelandic trigirl
What does it mean to "double-up"? Is that two marathons back to back? Gulp!

I am aiming for a pb at Edinburgh so I don't want to make it harder than necessary :/
But I cannot ask for sponsorship in light of my pb attempt as it is quite likely I won't get it!
Oct 2015
1:24pm, 4 Oct 2015
1025 posts
Surrey Phil
:-) In my case, two marathons one week apart. I'm not fit enough to do them more frequent than that.
Mar 2019
1:57pm, 2 Mar 2019
2 posts
Louiseruns
I used to fundraise, doing the race for life events, but once I found parkrun I couldn't really justify asking people to sponsor me for something that wasn't much of an effort any more, so I set up a justgiving page for Prostate Cancer and donated to that every time I got a PB. At first it was just me, then family started taking part, and now there are a number of people who donated to it when they get a PB, from any parkrun/race they do. It's a lot easier than asking people for sponsorship (I hate asking people for money).
ITG
Mar 2019
2:03pm, 2 Mar 2019
6912 posts
ITG
That's a great idea, Louise!

As long as you don't slow down at the end of the month for fear of having to pay up 😉

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by ITG 🇮🇸
I had never raised money for charity since my childhood but decided that my first marathon in 2013 w...