Tips for relieving ITB syndrome

6 watchers
May 2023
10:53am, 23 May 2023
22,344 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Like the title says - can I please have your tips for sorting out my painful ITB?

Pain at lateral knee, band is tight, driving me mad. Currently foam roller-ing and getting Mr Carp to use his massage gun on the whole band each night. Ouch.
May 2023
2:12pm, 23 May 2023
46,716 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I had a bit of ITBS many years ago. Usual relief, if I remember correctly - bit of ice and rest initially to reduce inflammation. Then when returning to running, doing foam roller and the ITB stretch (side bend, with leg behind) regularly and it's never come back since.

Hope you get it fixed soon. :-) G
May 2023
2:31pm, 23 May 2023
11,170 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I don’t have ITB issues but I think strength and mobility exercises are usually the best way to treat problems.

This guy’s videos are really good.

m.youtube.com
May 2023
9:46pm, 23 May 2023
4,593 posts
  •  
StuH
Not sure rolling/massaging the ITB will help as it's connective tissue rather than muscle. I found stretching the TFL gave me relief.
https://youtu.be/iQvqNU1hOgE
May 2023
9:53pm, 23 May 2023
2,112 posts
  •  
auburnette
TFL usually gets overloaded and causes ITBS or other knee issues when glutes are weak so one part of fixing it can be strengthening the glutes:

alterg.com
May 2023
10:29pm, 23 May 2023
2,037 posts
  •  
Homeless Kodo
Similar to StuH’s reply. The ITB is connective tissue predominantly originating from the Tensor Fasciae Latae (a small muscle in the hip area) and to a lesser extent Glute Max and Glute Med. Rollering it will hurt but that’s about all it will do, cadaver studies found you need genuine tonnes of pressure to distort the tissue which you won’t get from either a foam roller or a massage gun.
Ice may alleviate pain but it’ll do bugger all for anything else. Gabe Mirkin, the Physician who developed the RICE acronym for treating injuries in his Sports Medicine book in 1978, withdrew his support for it in 2013. I can find the reference if you need it tomorrow.
You could try strengthening your muscles around your hip, there’s a good chance it’ll work, but without proper assessment it’s a bit of a shot in the dark. The whole area from hip to knee is incredibly complicated with so many muscles, nerves, ligaments, tendons, arteries, veins and bones involved, it’s probably better to get it assessed by a sports physio. Sorry, I guess that’s not the answer you were looking for.
May 2023
11:02pm, 23 May 2023
21,394 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Yep, I agree with Stu and HK.

Hk's last para vg in my opinion. So many injuries/problems are best treated with strength training (after and along with adequate rest) - but there are so many knock on issues as HK says you might need to sere a reputable someone. Might not 'really' be the IT band that causing the problem, especially as the pain is neat your knee joint.

Sorry, Carp! xxx
May 2023
11:03pm, 23 May 2023
21,395 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Oh dear...fragile says the same thing too!
May 2023
11:00am, 24 May 2023
46,729 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Re foam roller/massage, it's to soften the tight muscles at quad or wherever it connects to the ITB, not the ITB itself (if the ITB is tender, actually rollering it will be flippin painful too, so take care!) :-) G
May 2023
6:55am, 25 May 2023
22,350 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Thanks all. I'll get myself to a sports therapist.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
Like the title says - can I please have your tips for sorting out my painful ITB?

Pain at lateral knee, band is tight, driving me mad. Currently foam roller-ing and getting Mr Carp to use his massage gun on the whole band each night. Ouch.