Time for a rant? VLM changes its good for age times

26 watchers
May 2018
5:10pm, 6 May 2018
17,554 posts
  •  
flanker
and it impacted their ability to sell golden bond places for huge sums.

Given they've said they don't expect many GFA runners to lose out through the change it does suggest that the 12000 figure is made up. Also, looking at the size of Green start for GFA, there only a few thousand there; nowhere near 12000.
May 2018
5:11pm, 6 May 2018
778 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Not all GFA run from the green start though flanker.
May 2018
5:12pm, 6 May 2018
17,556 posts
  •  
flanker
Not all, agreed, but other than FGFA from the start of red, most do.
May 2018
5:17pm, 6 May 2018
4,675 posts
  •  
larkim
Golden bond places are fixed too and there's a long waiting list. And given the proceeds of the marathon, including fees paid by bond holders, goes to charity, I'm never quite sure why the prices of charity places is something VLM can be criticised for?
May 2018
5:24pm, 6 May 2018
17,558 posts
  •  
flanker
Which is why they'll want to increase the number available? As far as I'm aware Virgin don't publish what percentage of their income goes to charities and how much is absorbed by their own staff costs, directors remuneration etc. (Yes, I'm cynical).

And why do I object? Because I think as the country's major marathon it should be running race rather than a charity fundraiser, with priority given to people who will actually train and make an effort to run it properly, rather than people who turn up and waddle round in 6-8 hours having obviously done next-to-no training. And as for those who decide they can't be bothered to turn up at all...

I know a lot of people will have a very different opinion about what The Marathon should be about, and that if you want to race a marathon there are many others available, both of which I'm absolutely fine with.
May 2018
5:47pm, 6 May 2018
4,677 posts
  •  
larkim
The thing is VLM was always designed as a venture to support London charitable projects so you're wishing for something it never really was.

And their accounts on the charity commission website give as clear a breakdown of their costs as other charities are required to do, so why hold them to a higher standard?
May 2018
6:21pm, 6 May 2018
17,559 posts
  •  
flanker
I think Brasher & Disley originally designed the the London Marathon was as a running race, with any surplus cash to fund sport in London boroughs. I seem to remember it being scrawny men in singlets and little flappy shorts running damn quickly.

You make a fair point about the financials, and to be clear it's not actually Virgin (who only sponsor it) but a group of charitable trusts who actually operate the marathon, the associated events, and the distribution of grants.
May 2018
6:21pm, 6 May 2018
17,560 posts
  •  
flanker
I seem to have lost the ability to put words together into a sentence! Oh for an edit button...
May 2018
6:31pm, 6 May 2018
4,678 posts
  •  
larkim
Interesting digging out their six core aims when it was established :-
The six objectives set out by the founders of the London Marathon were:
1. To improve the standard and status of British marathon running.
2. To show mankind that, on occasions, the family of man can be united.
3. To raise money for the provision of much-needed recreation facilities in London.
4. To help London tourism.
5. To prove that when it comes to organising major events, ‘Britain is best’.
6. To have fun and provide some happiness and a sense of achievement in a troubled world.
May 2018
6:38pm, 6 May 2018
779 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'm not sure they've managed the first but I think they've done pretty well on the others. I love to run London because it's London, because everyone knows what it is, because so many people are interested, because it's such an occasion - and I thought I'd hate it when I ran it the first time. I thought it would be too big, too noisy, too congested but I loved it. Every minute and every aspect and that's why I went back for the next four years. I was sad to miss it this year and intend to run again next though I may reconsider after that because the expense as someone who lives in the Midlands and the faff with number collection etc make it stressful ( though I have a lovely friend who has helped out so I've only actually had to go to the expo myself once).

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
virginmoneylondonmarathon.com

Men's times see...