Tight painful calves - cause?

3 watchers
Mar 2016
6:02pm, 3 Mar 2016
8,911 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Today's run started ok but within a mile I had painfully tight calf muscle in one leg, at the back just above the achilles. I don't think it's the achilles itself - palpating it doesn't hurt but the bit above did.
I cut the run as short as possible but the other leg joined in after about 3 miles and then - really weirdly - it sort of worked itself out so after six miles I was pain free.

Since then it has come back.

I have new running shoes (stability ones) and have been alternating them with my current shoes (neutral with 550 miles on them).

Could it be the new shoes, or is it more likely to be moving between the new and old (wore old ones today)?

I've had such trouble finding new shoes so I really hope I can keep them. I also have a 20 miler to do on Sunday and could do without injury!
Mar 2016
6:17pm, 3 Mar 2016
16,667 posts
  •  
Meglet
I certainly found that switching from stability shoes to neutral gave me tight calves/DOMS in that area.
Other than that wait for someone more experienced...
Mar 2016
6:27pm, 3 Mar 2016
20,367 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Dehydration? I'm very prone to tight calves (and Achilles tendonitis) but think its largely caused by forefoot running, which comes naturally to me
Mar 2016
6:31pm, 3 Mar 2016
20,642 posts
  •  
colettedeann
do you stretch regularly after your runs carp?
Mar 2016
6:38pm, 3 Mar 2016
8,914 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Nooooo, I'm bad at stretching. I have been rollering. It's not helping much.
Mar 2016
6:39pm, 3 Mar 2016
8,915 posts
  •  
Carpathius
I definitely don't forefoot run, I'm a heel-striker.
Mar 2016
6:40pm, 3 Mar 2016
20,643 posts
  •  
colettedeann
try stretching the calf gently after runs - not sure about the pre run stretching tho - maybe someone else has a view on theat - i have found post run stretching has helped me with tight calves
Mar 2016
6:44pm, 3 Mar 2016
14,420 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I had calf problems like you describe when I changed to shoes with less stability.
Mar 2016
6:53pm, 3 Mar 2016
8,916 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Hmm. I'm going to more stability, not less.

Maybe I should just switch completely to the new ones and see what happens.
Mar 2016
8:28pm, 3 Mar 2016
656 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I've had problems on & off with my calves, the problem seems to completely random, sorry no help to you. When they are playing up, going up hills makes them worse.

My current flare up was preceded by a painful Achilles' tendon but no idea what caused that. I suspect there is some sort of postural problem as my worst affected side has a big toe that doesn't bend properly and I'm more knock-kneed on that side too.

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
Today's run started ok but within a mile I had painfully tight calf muscle in one leg, at the back ...