Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Tibia Stress Fracture diagnosed now consultant has changed his mind..... Is there a doctor in the house?

1 watcher
Mar 2016
1:17pm, 31 Mar 2016
19 posts
Minni
I had a tibia stress fracture diagnosed in January via x-ray after 3 months of pain. Moonboot and a further x-ray in Feb showed some signs of improvement (words of Consultant - I couldn't see any improvement between the two x-rays). I was then told to start gentle exercise, which brought back the pain but worse than before. I had an MRI last week and went for the results yesterday, expecting to be given an Exogen Bone Stimulator, but the consultant says there's no sign of a stress fracture on the MRI. He's currently asking 'experts' to look at MRI and see if there's something else going on.

I was very confused. We both saw the clear fracture on the x-ray. I pointed this out and he kind of just fobbed me off saying it clearly wasn't a SF we saw.

Advice until I hear from him again: keep well and healthy and take pain killers so you can do what you enjoy doing....?

I've heard of misdiagnosis of SF from not showing up on an X-ray but never when is was clearly seen.

Has anyone gone through a similar thing and can shed any light?

:-(
Mar 2016
2:40pm, 31 Mar 2016
30 posts
Claypole
Hi Minnie.

Sorry - not a doc, or a physio, just another runner :-)

Odd one that ..
Would you be able to get the Xray to a sports physio?
Maybe worth a 2nd opinion from someone who sees sports injuries regularly.

Good luck with the diagnosis and recovery
Mar 2016
5:00pm, 31 Mar 2016
20 posts
Minni
That's a good idea. I'll see if I can do that.
Mar 2016
5:36pm, 31 Mar 2016
5987 posts
Footpad
To be honest its now in the hands of a radiologist who is reporting it... these guys look at thousands of x-rays / MRI and CT scans all the time. Worth asking for the report rather than the x-ray. MRI shows a lot more than an x-ray anyway... so wait and see. Rather than let a physio look at an x-ray which is not their area of expertise at all.
Mar 2016
6:35pm, 31 Mar 2016
707 posts
Fragile Do Not Bend
Interpreting X-rays is not easy - some things that look really like a fracture aren't, and some fractures don't look like them at all.

The radiologist is the expert and like Footpad said, an MRI will give them much more information than an X-ray.
Mar 2016
7:03pm, 31 Mar 2016
21 posts
Minni
Thank you.

I'm a bit annoyed because 3 months ago I offered to have an MRI privately and the consultant told me that there was nothing an MRI could tell him that the x-ray wasn't. It was a clear fracture and that's what I've been getting treated for in the past months. I saw it myself and it certainly looked like a clear crack, right at the point of pain. I can't think what else it could be. I'm hoping I might hear something tomorrow. In the meantime I'm following his advice - dose up on painkillers and just get out there!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Minni
I had a tibia stress fracture diagnosed in January via x-ray after 3 months of pain. Moonboot and a...