GregP
Good bounce
Oct 2020
11:37am, 9 Oct 2020
19,217 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Rosehip
I did a TI course a few years ago so have some knowledge definitely makes me more relaxed

Last night I purchased the self coaching course plus a open water swimming book and course (only paid for the 1st course!)
I will never be quick and as my big goal is a long course tri if I can do 2.4m with little effort and fluster in a decent time it will help me with the bike and run
Oct 2020
11:45am, 9 Oct 2020
20,048 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I have Views. You probably won’t agree with them.

I also have opinions about self-teaching (get a teacher/coach) and listening to ‘experts’ on the internet (don’t, get a teacher/coach).

It’s incredibly difficult to self-analyse, but it’s even more difficult to give sound advice when you haven’t seen someone swim.

I’m sure there must be a local teacher/coach who would love the opportunity to earn some money again. I know I would.
Oct 2020
11:56am, 9 Oct 2020
19,219 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
AC I mailed the guy who is the local "TI Master" who also did my course.
No reply
hence I got the course
Oct 2020
11:57am, 9 Oct 2020
18,124 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I wish you were local Angus :)
AFAIK, there is nothing available at the moment, but the pool is open for booked lane swimming so I'll ask around.

I know what I need to improve first, my left arm doesn't move the way it should because over the yrs I've had issues with that shoulder.

My breaststroke was my strong stoke and so that was what was coached when I was younger and what I've defaulted to swimming over the years - and to be honest, I'd really have no interest in learning free-style properly if it wasn't so much harder to swim breaststroke in a wetsuit!
Oct 2020
12:17pm, 9 Oct 2020
8,933 posts
  •  
simbil
Someone watching where you are at can be essential as Angus says.

Saying that though, I've only had lessons when felt they are really needed.

Started out as someone who could not front crawl at all - did not learn at school as was ok at breaststroke. Did adult swim lessons to get the basics - like a couple of lengths without drowning.

Then Tri club had coached sessions which got me to a point where I could confidently swim alone (400m) and feel more when it was working and when it wasn't.

Then built up distance and making it feel easy/efficient. Lots of different drills but 90%+ was just swimming.

Much later, a 1 to 1 session confirmed that my stroke was 'alright' and fitness the limiting factor to performance, so crack on.

Looking back, would probably do less of the more exotic drills, nothing systematic like TI or SS (unless it was the local coaches flavour - do as I'm told :) ) and just get the basics sorted under tuition (position, breathing) and then swim regularly.
Oct 2020
12:21pm, 9 Oct 2020
19,220 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I have had a couple of 1-1 lessons and as you say Simbil nothing drastic
My 4 drills I was given
Breathing - i lift my head too much and know it!
Hand entry - 11 and 1
Touch thigh - often arms go from being too narrow at start of stroke to too wide by hips!
slow down so leaving extended arm for a bit longer as I was always straight in and down (with the wiggly figure of 8 to add!)
Oct 2020
12:39pm, 9 Oct 2020
53,070 posts
  •  
GlennR
I've had coaching, including with that nutter who swam the Irish Sea. I'm now quite good at not drowning.
Oct 2020
3:16pm, 9 Oct 2020
18,125 posts
  •  
Rosehip
https://youtu.be/1jB762UxeWA

^this is how I was taught and how "we" taught at middle school. Exept that the stroke arm was supposed to do a "swan neck" shape under water from surface to hip.

Is there really any point in trying to do anything different - as in gliding/ the keeping arm in front before recovered arm enters. Will that be less tiring in the end?

(I was (taught lesson) lifeguard qualified for school swim lessons, we had a 15M outdoor pool, but ended up doing some coaching based on the ASA booklets the PE staff used, I wish I'd taken them up on the offer to get a swim teach qualification when it was offered a few yrs ago)
Oct 2020
3:30pm, 9 Oct 2020
19,240 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I did the S thing with my arm and was told it wasted energy and didn't push the water behind me like you want
I get really tired and breathless kicking lots (i'm terrible with a kick board)
but find with TI I rarely get a raised HR and can happily do 17-19 strokes per pool length

About This Thread

Maintained by 1step2far
My apologies if this has been done before but I couldn't find anything on searching!

I&apos...