Thunder Run 2014

33 watchers
Jul 2014
6:48am, 29 Jul 2014
9,131 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
HOD - was in a lot of pain, my 8th and last lap took me over 2 hours, so I decided to stop.
Jul 2014
8:42am, 29 Jul 2014
6,207 posts
  •  
Lumsdoni
What a weekend. Great to see HOD, JJFlash, Stander, AdminLiz and a few others.

First time Solo and called it a day after 10 laps straight off in 17:50. I had massive blisters on balls of feet by then and the pain simply didn't warrant another 2-3 laps which I had time for.

Furthest I've run by about 2 miles but the last race was about 50% on towpath so dead flat, and was about 15degrees.

Chuffed to bits with result, I was the one cheating with trekking poles from the start but they definitely worked. Quads are fine, ankles and outer muscles on calves a bit sore / tight.

Felt like I got most things right except blister treatment / prevention. Nutrition, pace, hydration, kit, strategy etc all seemed to work.

The support and atmosphere was amazing. My only regret is that when I finished, I ditched all my kit before the finish straight and ran fast in as I can't stand hobbling across a finish line. But because it was 18 hrs and no-one knew I was quitting there was very little cheer as people just assumed I was coming in for a rest, but there was one woman from out two teams there to give a little hug and a sob.

Never again, until 2015
Jul 2014
2:30pm, 29 Jul 2014
2,055 posts
  •  
AdminLiz
I'd say that was the only thing I missed too Lumsdoni, the cheer at the end, as I still had more than enough time for another ...even 2 more at a push.
Jul 2014
2:53pm, 29 Jul 2014
82 posts
  •  
Arjin
Solo... solo... solo... sorry you wern't there right at the end so we could cheer you in.

So amazing to see what you all achieved. I was running in one of 3 x 8 member teams from Gosport Road Runners, and only managed 2 laps as a quad injury flared up. I had to finish my night time lap running almost sideways so I could swing my left leg through as I couldn't lift it.

Looks like we might be getting a couple of teams to run at the spitfire scramble now too :)
Jul 2014
3:21pm, 29 Jul 2014
29,784 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Lilla I know how you feel my 8th took over 2 hours I nearly fell down one of the hills it was 0330 hours so I just said to myself I'm going bed whenever I get up I get up eventually went to bed about 4 ! I awoke at 6.30 and went off on 2 more the 9th easier than the tenth.

How did you do RFR didn't see you this year !
Jul 2014
3:23pm, 29 Jul 2014
29,785 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
With time management I think I could have done 12 I had an hour left but couldn't be f&*^ed. 11 wasn't worth it but 12 I would have been delighted.

I'm glad I beat the 36 min 10k lad in our club by 2 mins lol it pays to be 'mature' ;-)
Jul 2014
3:36pm, 29 Jul 2014
10,725 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
Good going HoD...what d'ya reckon for next year mate? HoD & SoD, team of 2?
Jul 2014
3:40pm, 29 Jul 2014
29,790 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
You could since RMo3 says she don't do 'Ultras' !!!

I can't do solo justice next year as I have IM Austria end of June. I'd want 150k meters not pounds ;-)
Jul 2014
8:13am, 30 Jul 2014
587 posts
  •  
dan.
Brilliant event as always. Spoke to Stander a few times when I went past.

Spleen, you guys were just along the course from us, we were the other team green just on the corner as you came off the switchback and onto the straight. We cheered you guys on a lot

We were 6th in the mixed 8's, our best result so well chuffed with that. We also had a team of 5 who were, I think, 17th. And our solo girl was 3rd and solo gent was 1st. Amazing weekend. I will be in a pair again next year though, much easier to do 10 laps steady than running 4 laps eyes out!!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by PowerJen
Teams:
Cambridge parkrun (8)