Throbbing left buttock - any advice?

3 watchers
Jun 2012
11:39am, 6 Jun 2012
153 posts
  •  
pdavey
I'll try and keep this short.

Ran VLM 2012 and during last few miles had a throbbing burning session in my buttocks.

Finished race, no issues over the next few days, just the expected DOMs etc...

But then developed a dull ache in my left buttock, constant, nagging, not too painful.

Had several massages but didn't seem to clear it so continued to run and stretch but it still hasn't gone.

Saw a physio last week who said my pelvis had rotated slightly, I’m guessing from the marathon as my left side still isn't as strong after ACL surgery last year in my left knee.

He painfully rotated it back with an aggressive massage and gave me a load of strengthening exercises. Didn't advise me not to run but didn't recommend it either.

Since the session on Friday 25th May, I’ve run an 800&1500m race last Weds (30th) and had an easy 6m last night and kept up my exercises. I was running daily pretty much before.

It's a lot more painful today, I'm guessing from the run. Has anyone had a similar ailment and could advise recovery time etc...?

Lots of summer races coming up and I need to be fit!

Thanks.
Jun 2012
12:07pm, 6 Jun 2012
213 posts
  •  
sugs
Have they checked your back. It could be Sciatica.
Jun 2012
3:19pm, 7 Jun 2012
239 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
It could be piriformis syndrome - which I get from time to time - massage doesn't help me. There are some good stretches - RW did a piece in one of their recent magazines which had some good suggestions - I find the pigeon-fold stretch is very good. I find mine gets worse when I don't run - recovery running at a slow pace helps.
Jun 2012
3:34pm, 7 Jun 2012
158 posts
  •  
pdavey
thanks Leaves, the symptoms sound very similar to mine!

Google'd some exercises and they're the same as what I've already been 'prescribed'!
Jun 2012
3:40pm, 7 Jun 2012
240 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I do recommend the pigeon-fold one - it's one I really find helps after a run, it takes a bit of getting used to as you don't feel like you're really doing anything to start with!
Jun 2012
8:19am, 8 Jun 2012
159 posts
  •  
pdavey
tried the Pigeon pose last night and a bunch of others I found on youtube, haha, the pain felt relieved for the rest of the evening.

but I have a nagging feeling again this morning, how long did it take for your symptoms to go?
Jun 2012
9:26am, 8 Jun 2012
241 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I have to say it does come and go - I found after a few days of stretching more pre & post run it was much better, it does still trouble me sometimes after a long run, but usually more stretches sort it out. It doesn't bother me whilst running - it's afterwards, and I do find not running really doesn't help - if anything it gets more sore if I have a few days when I can't get out. Sorry this is a bit vague!!
Jun 2012
9:30am, 8 Jun 2012
2,072 posts
  •  
SpeedyMel
That's exactly how it is for me Autumnleaves. Physio said it's painful, but not doing any damage, so I just keep running with it. Can be very painful post run, but I don't care then as I've finished! :-)
Jun 2012
9:33am, 8 Jun 2012
242 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Yes - the endorphins certainly help! Plus the pigeon fold stretch keeps the family amused...
Jun 2012
11:19am, 8 Jun 2012
160 posts
  •  
pdavey
thanks for the advice both, I've hardly run the past couple of weeks and I'm worried I'm starting to lose fitness with so many summer races fast approaching.

Will keep on with the exercises and try some easy runs.

About This Thread

Maintained by pdavey
I'll try and keep this short.

Ran VLM 2012 and during last few miles had a throbbing burning ses...