Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Thoughts on my training

2 watchers
Nov 2013
10:18am, 6 Nov 2013
804 posts
Revbarbarag
I may regret this, but.....

I'm training for the London Marathon next year, having started running in April this year. My longest run to date (on Monday) was 10.6 miles, my heaviest week so far (3 weeks ago) was 26 miles. Building up nicely, but a long way to go. At the moment I'm wrestling with how to build up the necessary base without becoming overtired. I wrote a fantastic blog about it, but for some weird reason, the blog bit of the site will only publish the first two paragraphs. So I'm going to copy it here, and solicit your comments. Feel free to have a look at my training log for further background. Here's the blog that fetch won't (currently) publish for me:

I decided that I was going to learn from my experience of 3 weeks ago, when (I think) the sum total of Wednesday's and Thursday's runs, added to the 10 miles on Monday, wiped me out. I determined that this morning's run was going to be shorter, and even easier, than the equivalent 3 weeks ago. Here's the comparison between today and 3 weeks ago:

Then:-
Distance: 5.23
Pace: 13:14
Ascent: 86m
Heart Rate avg/max: 143/156
Nov 2013
10:19am, 6 Nov 2013
805 posts
Revbarbarag
I don't blooming believe it! There must be something in the text that's causing an early exit.
Nov 2013
10:19am, 6 Nov 2013
806 posts
Revbarbarag
Now:-Distance: 4.42
Pace: 13:55
Ascent: 91m
Heart Rate avg/max: 134/150
<70% WHR: 67%
<75% WHR: 92%

So, when you look at it - my run from 3 weeks ago was really too hard to be a recovery run..... today's was a lot closer. 3 weeks ago, the Thursday run was dreadful - really hard, and a lot of walking. I walked a few times today - to keep my HR down on the hills, but not with the same sense of exhaustion as then. It will be interesting to see how I get on tomorrow.... I was thinking of making it Fartlek, or at least doing a few strides... what do you think?

Oh, and following my discussion with Becca7 yesterday about long run pace, I had a look at the heart rate data for my long runs. It seems I'm not as disciplined on that front as I thought I was, and there is scope for slowing down further on my long runs..... :). I'll give that a go next week.

I'm up to 15 miles so far this week, and would like to make it 25 or 26.... but there may be a conflict of interests here. I'll be doing Parkrun on Saturday, and with a warmup lap can make that 4 miles rather than 3.... but would it really be a good idea to do 6 or 7 miles tomorrow?

The beauty of having started my marathon buildup in September is that I have got plenty of time to play with. It seems the Golden Rule is "Stay Injury Free", closely followed by "Run Long, Slowly". If at all possible, I want to get my long runs up to 20 miles by about 6 weeks before The Day, so I've got time to do 20(+) 3 times..... but I can't afford to exhaust myself mid-week. Is the length of the long run more important than the overall mileage?

Light blue touch paper and retire....
Nov 2013
10:21am, 6 Nov 2013
807 posts
Revbarbarag
I decided that I was going to learn from my experience of 3 weeks ago, when (I think) the sum total of Wednesday's and Thursday's runs, added to the 10 miles on Monday, wiped me out. I determined that this morning's run was going to be shorter, and even easier, than the equivalent 3 weeks ago. Here's the comparison between today and 3 weeks ago:

<70% WHR: 23%

<75% WHR: 62%

<70% WHR: 67%

<75% WHR: 92%

So, when you look at it - my run from 3 weeks ago was really too hard to be a recovery run..... today's was a lot closer. 3 weeks ago, the Thursday run was dreadful - really hard, and a lot of walking. I walked a few times today - to keep my HR down on the hills, but not with the same sense of exhaustion as then. It will be interesting to see how I get on tomorrow.... I was thinking of making it Fartlek, or at least doing a few strides... what do you think?

Oh, and following my discussion with Becca7 yesterday about long run pace, I had a look at the heart rate data for my long runs. It seems I'm not as disciplined on that front as I thought I was, and there is scope for slowing down further on my long runs..... :). I'll give that a go next week.

I'm up to 15 miles so far this week, and would like to make it 25 or 26.... but there may be a conflict of interests here. I'll be doing Parkrun on Saturday, and with a warmup lap can make that 4 miles rather than 3.... but would it really be a good idea to do 6 or 7 miles tomorrow?

The beauty of having started my marathon buildup in September is that I have got plenty of time to play with. It seems the Golden Rule is "Stay Injury Free", closely followed by "Run Long, Slowly". If at all possible, I want to get my long runs up to 20 miles by about 6 weeks before The Day, so I've got time to do 20(+) 3 times..... but I can't afford to exhaust myself mid-week. Is the length of the long run more important than the overall mileage?

Nov 2013
10:22am, 6 Nov 2013
808 posts
Revbarbarag

below 70% WHR: 23%
below 75% WHR: 62%

below 70% WHR: 67%
below 75% WHR: 92%

Nov 2013
10:28am, 6 Nov 2013
809 posts
Revbarbarag
Apologies for the multiple posts.... Fetch must have changed something, because "less than" signs are now causing blogs/posts to be truncated. Anyway - you now have the full text I was trying to post in my blog. So, feel free to comment, although to be honest, if I could see a way to delete this thread I would do so now and keep the discussion on my blog.
Nov 2013
10:31am, 6 Nov 2013
19940 posts
ogee
Can you repeat that?
Nov 2013
10:32am, 6 Nov 2013
18002 posts
sheri3004
Yeah, "less than" signs have always had that effect for some inexplicable reason.
Nov 2013
10:33am, 6 Nov 2013
49213 posts
Puddington
It's always been the case that 'less than' causes a disturbance in the force. Avoid at all costs. Or your posts will say 'less than' you intended.

*takes a bow*
Nov 2013
10:34am, 6 Nov 2013
4021 posts
HermanBloom
Pudds :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
I may regret this, but.....

I'm training for the London Marathon next year, having started runni...