This is a long shot - anyone know about nitro (rc) engines?

2 watchers
Jun 2014
1:39pm, 12 Jun 2014
22,318 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'd love to say this is on behalf of my 11 year old son. But it's not. I bought it as a present for my 11 year old son. 6 years ago. As a 17 year old he would have no interest at all. But as a *ahem* approach *late* forties bloke, I am.

So...

Acme Condor (i.e. very cheap brand) radio control model car with a nitro engine. I can't get it to start. 6 years ago it did. And even 2 or 3 years ago when we were still using it. But now it doesn't. I have tried:
Glow plug - when I take it out it seems to "light up" when glow starter is attached.
Fuel line - I can see fuel getting into the carburettor (though it may have flooded - manual says a flooded engine won't even be pullable and not to force it. Well unless I'm some kind of he-man (and I'm not) it was still fairly easily pullable)
Settings - I tried with the throttle partly open. I tried the needle adjust and idle adjust variously tighter and looser (richer and leaner).

I *think* I got it to catch just once, then cut out straight away. But that was it. Any ideas?

My next step is to replace the glow plug (because I might have damaged it on removal?) But that's a bit of stab in the dark.
After that, it's dismantle the fuel line, engine and flush through with fuel etc. to make sure no blockages. Which will be a faff.

Any help gratefully received. Cheers, :-) G
Jun 2014
4:45pm, 12 Jun 2014
22,323 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
No, I guess not. I thought it was a bit of a long shot. In a running website! But I'm not sure I want to try any of the radio controlled modeller websites - you think Fetchies are weird, try modellers! :-) G
Jun 2014
4:46pm, 12 Jun 2014
1,183 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
How old is the fuel?
Jun 2014
5:04pm, 12 Jun 2014
66,272 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I was thinking fuel too... Not sure what it runs on, but my petrol chainsaw and lawnmower need new petrol after they have been left unused for a bit!
Jun 2014
5:05pm, 12 Jun 2014
22,324 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, good question, forgot to mention that! 6 years old! The stuff in the sealed metal can looked fine. The stuff in the bottom of the bottle with nozzle for filling up the car's tank was sludge (almost like foam). I guess the bottle was partly open and water (moisture in air) + oil/fuel = foam. Unfortunately I'd tipped a few ml of it in before I noticed. I washed the tank out as best I could with fresh fuel.

Could it be that even the stuff in the metal tank was too old as well and wouldn't burn well. That would make total sense.

By the way, even though I'm in Scotland it is about 15C here, so it's not that it's too cold (had that prob before, in winter when it was sub zero that getting the fuel to light was difficult with a totally cold engine).

So, FR, as well as part time writer of beautiful prose, full time sheep farmer and former defender of these isles, are you also a closet modeller? Or is this just coming from trying to start a two stroke power chain saw or something? :-) G
Jun 2014
5:11pm, 12 Jun 2014
66,273 posts
  •  
Hanneke
My bet is on the chainsaw experience Happy, then, you never know with FR ;)
Jun 2014
5:23pm, 12 Jun 2014
22,326 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks Hann. I've never had power tools so wouldn't have known from experience, but high school chemistry should have told me that a high viscosity, hydroscopic fluid like nitro methane isn't going to last very long, esp not with any exposure to moist air. :-) G
Jun 2014
5:24pm, 12 Jun 2014
22,327 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
A glow plug is prob 5 quid and a tank of fuel 10, so not much wasted to try them both. Easier than taking apart the whole engine too! :-) G
Jun 2014
5:37pm, 12 Jun 2014
1,173 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
(posting on behalf of my 13 yr old son...)

If the glow plug filament is bright and it glows brightly when you attach the starter, then it's probably OK. He asks if you've tried different batteries? The engine will turn over easily if it's not flooded, so he agrees it's not that. His next comment was check that fuel is reaching the carburettor (which you've done).

He says put 2-3 drops of fuel down the hole, with the glow plug removed, then turn engine over a few times and then put the plug in and try to start it. If the engine runs briefly, it is back to checking the carb and fuel lines. Sometimes the engine sticks in the central position and you have to make it turn over by using a screwdriver through the chassis hole to move the flywheel a few times round until it gets loose enough to work.

He then says that youtube always has the answer - just look for "RC nitro wont start "or similar.
Jun 2014
5:40pm, 12 Jun 2014
1,184 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Chainsaw I'm afraid Happy. Sorry to disappoint. I do shoe horses though....

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
I'd love to say this is on behalf of my 11 year old son. But it's not. I bought it as a present fo...