Things you don't understand watch - have you got things you don't understand?

57 watchers
Jun 2022
3:54pm, 17 Jun 2022
14,299 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
RR, isn't the answer 'kids' ?
Jun 2022
3:56pm, 17 Jun 2022
2,347 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
I'm not sure I understand kids either tbh!
CK2
Jun 2022
4:56am, 18 Jun 2022
1,262 posts
  •  
CK2
The hens have nest boxes to use, which are usually meshed so there isn't a pile of poo in there, so the eggs stay clean. This is true whether they are organic, free range or in colonies (they are the enriched cages, battery hens are a thing of the past- in the UK at least.)

What enriched cages are.
Jun 2022
9:39am, 18 Jun 2022
90,249 posts
  •  
Hanneke
CK2 I think it means they can actually turn around in their cage as opposed to not move at all 🙄🙄🙄
Jun 2022
9:41am, 18 Jun 2022
90,250 posts
  •  
Hanneke
"This EU-wide Directive banned the use of barren battery cages and introduced the enriched or colony cage which is designed to hold up to 90 birds and give the hens more freedoms. These include: Potential to nest - one end of the enriched cage has a small nesting area Potential to roost - perches 3-4" high run along part of the cage"

I suspect we will soon be back to battery cages, as we are abandoning all the good EU laws rapidly...
Jun 2022
12:29pm, 18 Jun 2022
940 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
Hanneke The UK has some of the highest standards for animal welfare in the world. I think the real issue is that potential imports from countries (eg Australia) operating lower animal welfare standards (since Brexit) could put our UK producers at a competitive disadvantage in the future. I'd be far more concerned about what we're importing than what we actually produce.
Jun 2022
3:15pm, 18 Jun 2022
21,737 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
One thought behind Brexit was that we would have higher standards than the EU and thus be able to export there while legitimately preventing imports, making Britain a favourable trade balance. Occasional government voices can still be heard asserting the notion.
Jun 2022
10:58am, 26 Jun 2022
9,129 posts
  •  
GordonG
Can't understand why some media outlets are going with the story "McCartney joined on Glastonbury stage by dave grohl, oh yeah Springsteen too". Shouldn't that have been the other way round?
Jun 2022
12:58pm, 26 Jun 2022
87,946 posts
  •  
swittle
Can't understand why some media outlets are going with the story "McCartney joined on Glastonbury stage by dave grohl, oh yeah Springsteen too". Shouldn't that have been the other way round?

From 'The Guardian' [I think], this was Dave Grohl's first appearance since the death of Foo Fighters drummer, Taylor Hawkins. This may account for the change in 'expected' billing.
Jun 2022
1:31pm, 26 Jun 2022
34,142 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Modern Test Cricket

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Why is being 'jungle fresh' considered a desirable quality in salted peanuts?