Things non-runners say

44 watchers
Oct 2018
5:00pm, 31 Oct 2018
714 posts
  •  
edison
" I went along with it until they kept on and started to push boundaries, so stopped the conversation"

Were they chasing you down the road?
Oct 2018
6:10pm, 31 Oct 2018
37 posts
  •  
JoOsh
Phoning my son after I completed the GNR, he asked did I win?... No... Did I come 2nd then?....... No. Did you beat 'Mince Man'?......No .... (Mo Farah/Quorn Adverts)

He was only 2 at the time, but it made the fellow runners on the shuttle bus back chuckle :)
Oct 2018
10:01pm, 31 Oct 2018
2,663 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
It sounds like it, edison, but I was standing at the dinks station as I was knackered.
Nov 2018
9:44pm, 5 Nov 2018
482 posts
  •  
damo2000
I get a lot what about your knees, and your crazy. On the 'your crazy' comment I always tell them about the ultra dafties in my club - they quickly come round to thinking my 'only a marathon' is pretty normal then.
Nov 2018
9:53pm, 5 Nov 2018
3,624 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
“Don’t give up” when I’m taking a walk break. I’m not giving up, I’m still moving aren’t I?
Nov 2018
6:26am, 6 Nov 2018
7,696 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Variant on a theme of running signs "We're proud of you, Random Stranger". And "Pain now, cake later".

Lost count of the number of people who ask if "my" marathon is the same as "the" marathon!
Aug 2019
1:03pm, 2 Aug 2019
4,715 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
A woman in yoga class today (who probably doesn’t know I’m a runner) saying she doesn’t see the point in running as ‘it’s not enjoyable’. Blimey, I never realised I wasn’t enjoying myself, must stop immediately. 🙄

(although I have to admit some runs aren’t enjoyable)
Aug 2019
1:36pm, 2 Aug 2019
1,660 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Back to the supporters thing, I've recently been at races, only maybe 200m over the start and there's folks shouting 'Good running!' 'Looking strong!'
I hope I am, I've only run 200m, there's another 9,800m to go...

I don't get upset though because it's still a positive shout :)

Ha ha, mind you, I would be upset if they were shouting 'You look like death!' 'Are you gonna make it?!' 'Do you need an ambulance?' during the last 200m which is generally how I feel.
Aug 2019
1:37pm, 2 Aug 2019
1,661 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Fragile - some people just don't get 'it'. I know lots of people who run to keep fit/loose weight/cos they think they should and don't enjoy it at all.

Wierdos.
Aug 2019
2:03pm, 2 Aug 2019
42,567 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'll readily agree that running doesn't appeal to everyone and it's OK not to run, but will add that most people who run do enjoy it and aren't just "keeping fit".

About This Thread

Maintained by mr d
Like the time my Dad rang me at work to ask if I want a lift home and I replied 'don't wor...