They - Kay Dick - March 2022 Book Group discussion

13 watchers
Apr 2022
9:15am, 2 Apr 2022
1,044 posts
  •  
Peregrinator
Thank you both - very conscious of having few tools of analysis, and a meagre literary hinterland for comparisons. Always interested to know what other people got out of reading a book.
Goes off to worry about Star Wars.....
Apr 2022
7:53pm, 2 Apr 2022
25,654 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I really enjoyed this. I thought it very sparsely and vibrantly written. It reminded me of the chrysalids, published 1955, which I loved - the unease and the secret lives. And for a piece of dystopia it was petty rather than overblown, which is high compliment again, for the tendency to hammer the point is why I no longer read dystopia.

I don’t usually bother with forwards but I’m glad I read this one for the times review “a fantasy sprouting from some collective menopausal spasm” which was intended as an insult, no doubt. I might actually get back in to this reading lark
Apr 2022
8:02pm, 2 Apr 2022
25,655 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I also thought it went backwards in time and the fragmenting in the chapters was part of the isolation. After a brief bathtime ponder I have concluded there was something quite personal about this book for me and it reminded me of battling depression. So while giving a cheerful nod to all the negativity above, I loved this book.
Apr 2022
3:34pm, 10 Apr 2022
12,871 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I liked the idea of this book and it had lovely writing in parts but I think overall it was less than the sum of it parts. This was possibly partly my fault as I read it in fits and starts but it was probably also due to it originally being short stories that the author joined together.

I had trouble keeping track of the characters and I couldn't work out if it was supposed to be chronological or not. A couple of the stories seemed quite repetitive.

But some of the stories were great and genuinely chilling. I liked the exploration of resistance and quiet bravery, trying to save stuff for its own worth, and is it worth dying for art?

I'm glad I read it as I think some of the themes/images will stay with me. I gave this book a 6.
Apr 2022
3:53pm, 10 Apr 2022
12,872 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Ahh, interesting that some of you think it went backwards. I did wonder if it was supposed to but I thought that some stories went forwards in time, or maybe I just struggled with all of it!
Apr 2022
7:27pm, 23 Apr 2022
39,282 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Finished the other day and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Still don't

Was the narrator female at first I thought it was don't know what I had to re ask that question not sure I want to re read it

I'm sorry probably in the minority but think it was beyond me
Apr 2022
9:39pm, 25 Apr 2022
21,723 posts
  •  
Columba
I wasn't keen, Owlie.

I think I assumed the narrator was female.
May 2022
6:20pm, 20 May 2022
6,182 posts
  •  
westmoors
A quick read but felt it was a collection of shorts rather than a novel. Apart from the protagonist, characters only seemed to be in one chapter. Didn't gel with it at all.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan

They may be the love that cannot hope to last
May come to me from shadows of the past
That I remember
'Till the day I die

Beautiful words there which sprang forth from Charles Aznavour when he first read They by Kay Dick.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 112,269 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here