There But For The - Book Group Discussion Thread

7 watchers
Oct 2018
9:04pm, 30 Oct 2018
36,247 posts
  •  
McGoohan
In 1865, popular Victorian author Alistair Smith died having only written a very small part of his final book, eventually published some 150 years later by his great great granddaughter, Ali.

As you know, he only managed the first half of the title and the pages are completely blank. You will have received a complementary crayon with your book which you should use to complete your own story. Mine turned out to be a pirate adventure with dinosaurs.

Let's have your thoughts below!
Nov 2018
5:58pm, 6 Nov 2018
5,525 posts
  •  
postieboy
A strange story, or set of stories more accurately. I don't know what to make of it to be honest, whatever subtle points the book was trying to passed me by.

The back stories of Anne, Mark and May were both sad and fascinating, that of the young girl Brooke, her character was plain annoying. If I could have gone into the text to give her a slap, I would have! The central character Miles remained an enigma throughout, by the end it became clear he was merely a centre point for the rest of the story. Who he was wasn't important, his presence was enough for everything the revolve.

I read a couple of reviews saying it was a satire. If it was, the humour went way over my head!
Nov 2018
8:51am, 7 Nov 2018
36,399 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I've done a poll now, postieboy, which if I've got it right will also be appearing over there --->

fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=6856
Nov 2018
1:52pm, 9 Nov 2018
36,524 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Just finished this.

Hmm.

*sucks end of pencil*

Hmm.
Nov 2018
2:47pm, 9 Nov 2018
49 posts
  •  
pogdorf
(Peeks into discussion thread before reading). Oh dear this doesn’t bode well. I’m planning to dive into this while on a plane on Sunday. Must make sure I don’t have any other distractions handy I think.
Nov 2018
3:39pm, 11 Nov 2018
2,911 posts
  •  
westmoors
Enjoyed the first two parts but the third part annoyed me as there was apparently no connection. The last part was OK.

Thought it rather feeble that Miles just decided to leave after so many months of 'lodging' without any explanation.

Jen's wish to keep Miles' departure secret made me smile though. Having at first wanting him out and having her house back, she came to like the 'celebrity' status it brought.
Nov 2018
3:40pm, 11 Nov 2018
2,912 posts
  •  
westmoors
Oh, gave it a 6.
Nov 2018
10:08am, 12 Nov 2018
36,573 posts
  •  
McGoohan
The title suggests 'Grace of God' but is incomplete. I thought that was a big clue we wouldn't get it all tied up into a bow. Since I read - and loved - How To Be Both, I've read a few more of Ali Smith's books with different results. I didn't hate any of them but I didn't love any either. This was no exception. She doesn't often tie stuff up neatly.

They're very easy to read (it helps that the fontsize is so big you're lucky to get as many as four words per line) as her style is very playful and 'flowy'. However, it's also what you might call 'tangential'. Hence four very lightly connected proto-stories each feeling more like a state-of-the-nation type thing than an actual story. She doesn't let her authorial shovel trouble the coal-bunker of plot too often. The good ship Ali Smith Book is more usually powered on wordplay and same-sex advocacy. Nowt wrong with that as such, but don't go in expecting a tense spy novel where they all turn out to be ghosts.

I was never bored in TBFT though I was wanting it to gee up a bit from time to time. That whole second chapter is quite excruciating to read being essentially a play script (like Abigail's Party) for a middle class dinner party populated with dreadful people.

In the end, no, you get next to no insight as to Miles' motivation in staying in the room. Instead we get a tangential look at him through the lives of people he's touched, all connected through his kindness: bringing Anna out of her shell, accompanying Mark and helping him grow back his confidence, supporting May and being one of the few adults to 'get' Brooke. (And no-one had tried the door in all this time? Hmmm.) But at it's heart, it's a state-of-the-nation book, but it's the state as of 2009. I think such books date very quickly. The world has moved on very quickly and TBFT seems very staid and inconsequential in a post-Trump world.
Nov 2018
10:09am, 12 Nov 2018
36,574 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I think... I'll go with westmoors and award a 6 as well
Nov 2018
8:49pm, 19 Nov 2018
9,960 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Before reading back
I enjoyed this one. I like puns and cleverness and I liked all the characters I was supposed to like.
I looked forward to reading it and I’m almost certain I won’t remember it in three months time, or even be sure that I’ve read it
‘Soaring, swooping’ said the independent
‘Joyful, sparkling’ said the Herald
‘Virtuoso’ said the TLS
‘Makes me feel mildly embarrassed by my insouciance - I have read quite a lot though’ says me

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Have a poll. You can envotenise here

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 112,275 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here