There But For The - Book Group Discussion Thread

7 watchers
Nov 2018
8:53pm, 19 Nov 2018
9,961 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Ah postieboy I felt sorry for Brooke being hated by her teacher for being a smarty pants
McG - the dinner party was my least favourite part of all it was layered on so thick it might as well have been a Harry Enfield sketch
Dec 2018
6:49pm, 7 Dec 2018
16,840 posts
  •  
Columba
Very clever, I thought this author was (haven't read anything else of hers), indeed too clever to engage me with the people, though when I went back for a second reading I did become very fond of Brooke even though I can't really believe in her. The second reading was essential; without it I would have returned it to the library with a vague feeling that it was about a precocious little girl, a man who shut himself into a room for no very apparent reason, a dinner-party with some rather obnoxious guests, an old lady who doesn't want to be sent to a care home, and the whole set in a place which it just happens I know rather well. In fact, I was there last weekend, visiting Eldest Son and family; Crooms Hill (mentioned in the book) is only a stone's throw away, and the church of Our Ladye Star of the Sea, mentioned in the book as a landmark, is where I went to Mass last Sunday morning.

The full quotation is "There but for the grace of God, go I". I wondered why the title had been chosen; couldn't see the relevance. On second reading I discovered several references to Grace, the first being Anna's mother's having been made redundant by Grace, which was Group Routing and Changing Equipment. Later there is a brief story about a girl called Grace, references to Gracie Fields, and (when Josie falls off a chair trying to take the battery out of the smoke alarm so that she can smoke), reference (by Josie herself) to "a fall from grace".

Oh yes, Greenwich. As I get off the train at Greenwich station, I happen to know there is no escalator at Greenwich DLR, which the author says there is. Grrr.

I really didn't like the dinner-party scene, which the author seems to be using at least partly for virtue signalling; we are encouraged to sneer at people who assume black people have come from Africa, and at people who - in this day and age! - assume them-and-us-ish attitudes towards men who are gay.

OK, that's enough to be going on with, now I shall read back.
Dec 2018
7:26pm, 9 Dec 2018
25,482 posts
  •  
LindsD
Haven't read back.

I liked this. It's been a while since I finished it and I notice I gave it an 8. I liked the idea, and the characters. I did have the feeling, like I did with How to be both, that I was missing something. I feel a bit like Ali Smith is a bit too clever for me, and that's a bit irritating. I gave it an 8, though, so I must have enjoyed reading it :)
Dec 2018
7:30pm, 9 Dec 2018
25,483 posts
  •  
LindsD
Gosh. I can't tell you how pleased I am that everyone basically thought the same as me :)
Feb 2019
4:21pm, 2 Feb 2019
9,195 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
This is my second Ali Smith book. I liked the writing in How To Be Both but I didn't like the structure as I would have preferred to have a novel for each of the 2 parts. I was slightly dubious about this when I realised it was different parts again.

However this worked much better as a whole even if we never really find out much about Miles. He's just a bit player in each of the narrator's section but it does seem as though he's important even if he sometimes has just a fleeting interaction.

I struggled with the interior monologue style at times, felt very suffocating and hard to read for more than a few minutes. I did find some bits very moving and other bits very funny, especially the Guardian article!!! :-)

My favourite character was the little girl, really hope she manages to find a way to survive at school. It reminded me a little bit of when if you're a clever child you eventually have to hide it to not be bullied :-(

I gave this book a 7
Feb 2019
5:02pm, 2 Feb 2019
26,227 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yes. I felt some empathy with her, too.
Feb 2020
11:15am, 25 Feb 2020
118,055 posts
  •  
GregP
This is still on my 'to read' pile I notice.
Feb 2020
11:35am, 25 Feb 2020
45,344 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I have no recollection of this one at all. I think I was a bit preoccupied at the time.
Feb 2020
11:36am, 25 Feb 2020
33,509 posts
  •  
LindsD
I didn't either until I read my comments

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Have a poll. You can envotenise here

The Doctor K Cup

This year sees the fifth edition of our annual challenge in memory of the Fetchies who have sadly passed away. It's named after Doctor K, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2017

Are you doing the right training?

See typical mileage, pace and long run stats for every distance and goal. See a comparison with your own training.

Heart Rate Analysis

See your heart rate training data from the last 12 months broken down in technicolour.

Flat as a pancake?

We've collected thousands of your reviews from events, and worked out which races give you the best chance of a fast time!

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 109,109 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here