The "Why The F*ck Do You Need To Lose Weight?" Weight Loss Thread

114 watchers
Mar 2018
10:36pm, 20 Mar 2018
3,431 posts
  •  
Curly45
It did me. Slowly but surely dropping the weight in cycles - get down low for race day, go back up when training, but not quite as much as last time.

Currently about 125lbs and I get down to about 122-123 for race day and go up to about 128lbs. Next cycle I will look to take each of these a little lower if possible.

Given my training load at the moment, I am not restricting at all so just the running and cross training doing the work. As an example last week was 25 hours, the week before was about 28.

Julii - can I ask what is the idea behind a really restrictive day? It seems a bit of a risk to me to be in negative for that day, then leading into training the next day. A rest day is about recovery, basically food and sleep are the key drivers of this.
Mar 2018
4:06pm, 21 Mar 2018
152 posts
  •  
Julii
hmmm... idea is a bit of FOMO:
so many people gush about 5:2 being a comfortable lifestyle, or say "Blood sugar diet is so easy because the food is so tasty!" I don't believe either of those for a second, but how can I know if I don't give it at least one trial day?

Also, if I can lose weight a bit faster then go back to never thinking about how I eat sooner, that would be great. May be a fail, though. Let's see just how grumpy I get tomorrow & see where to go from there. I have bought a huge amount of veg to cook up tonite :).
Mar 2018
5:17pm, 21 Mar 2018
3,433 posts
  •  
Curly45
Just make sure you eat before training the day after (so dont go out on no breakfast!)
Mar 2018
6:13pm, 21 Mar 2018
153 posts
  •  
Julii
I'l be FINE... honest Dad. ;-)
Mar 2018
10:37pm, 21 Mar 2018
3,435 posts
  •  
Curly45
Mum surely ;) :p
Mar 2018
12:06pm, 22 Mar 2018
96 posts
  •  
icenutter
So. I'm currently using Dr Stillman's weight guidelines to pick a target weight for myself. In essense its a way to calculate an average weight for your height, then there's a series of % 'under average'.
cicerunner.wordpress.com
runbundle.com
serpentine.org.uk

So for my height the average is 86kg, and I currently weigh just under 80. 12% lower than average is 76kg, so that is therefore my first target. I don't know if 15% lower is acheivable, as that's 73kg.

My strategy is to stop snacking, basically. I think my general diet is OK, so no real need to tinker with that. I'm going to make sure that I have no change so I can't use the vending machine at work!
Mar 2018
8:10pm, 22 Mar 2018
154 posts
  •  
Julii
Oh how annoying, bad connection so lost a long post (grrr).
Just wanted to say my day of ~800 kcal went fine, actually. I ate 1.25 litres of veg, mind! And > 50g of protein. Resisted chocolate & booze.

I think I could repeat that ok, actually. Maybe once a week, most weeks for a few months.

Don't want BMI = 18 like Paula Radcliffe, though. I'll be happy at about 60kg.
Mar 2018
8:36pm, 22 Mar 2018
100 posts
  •  
icenutter
I’d go crazy on only 800 calories haha.
Mar 2018
9:06pm, 22 Mar 2018
101 posts
  •  
icenutter
100 posts! Well, 101 actually.
Mar 2018
6:42pm, 26 Mar 2018
155 posts
  •  
Julii
Today I did another 800 kcal day.
I've been miserable, this is not nice. I keep drooling at thought or sight of food.
(sigh)
Will maybe try this one more time, late next week. Not again if it don't improve.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rach E
The thread for people who aren't "fat", but need to lose a few pounds to be at their racing best.

Criteria for entry:
- You must "look slim" and, if you say you want to lose weight to a "normal" member of the public, are greeted with the response "Why the f*ck do you need to lose weight?".
- You do not have a large amount to lose, but need to lose a small amount to get to "ideal racing weight".
- Typically, you will train heavily so food intake will need to match training levels.
- Fad diets (e.g. the eating 20 kumquats before dawn and starving for the rest of the day diet) is not allowed.
- Once your BMI reaches 18.5, you will be banned from losing any more weight. Equally, if you have more than a stone or so to lose, you may get better results from some of the other dieting threads. We'll probably only lose 0.5lbs to 1lb a week at best here