The "Why The F*ck Do You Need To Lose Weight?" Weight Loss Thread

1 lurker | 114 watchers
Jan 2018
1:05pm, 4 Jan 2018
17,511 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
The daily torygraph readership is 300,000 and actually consists of the higher demographis who are the ones with the best access to health services, through geography and money, and eat well and exercise the most.

Don't worry.

As ever I was annoyed at last night's TV. Bandwagonning on diets/exercise which they ought to be doing all year.

Resolutions get dropped which is a part of the cycle.
Jan 2018
1:37pm, 4 Jan 2018
37,473 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've become very good at ignoring stuff like that since the early days of this thread. Having had a daughter come close to starving herself to death due to getting obsessed with weight and diet, I no longer see it as harmlessly wrong.

Patients are appreciative and disgruntled in about equal measure when I tell them I'm not going to talk about weight and slimming diets with them (though I'll bang on about healthy lifestyle behaviours till they're making excuses to get out of my room) and have a responsibility to provide the best health care possible for them at whatever size they are.
Jan 2018
10:26pm, 4 Jan 2018
309 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Really sorry to hear that v and glad she is doing well now. think media have lot to answer for. Models always displayed in skimpy clothes however 'normal ' sizes have gone up,only have to look at women's dress sizes have got proportionally bigger. I look at photos of my mum 30+ years ago when I was a baby and she is slimmer than me now yet I wear a 12 and she wore a 14. I don't consider myself fat, but technically I am overweight. i was told the week before Christmas by an (overweight) colleague that there was "nothing on me"
Jan 2018
9:05am, 5 Jan 2018
4,556 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
It's one of those curious things isn't it? I have a theory that a good proportion of the population are incapable of looking in the mirror and seeing an acceptable reflection. My post yesterday probably proved that ... for someone of my size there's "nothing on me" either, yet I would be happier if I was a few pounds lighter :-) Nothing aesthetic in it, I just want to go up hills faster :-)
Jan 2018
9:14am, 5 Jan 2018
28,040 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
74kg. Racing weight is 70kg. I was down to a consistent 71 before Chester marathon. Cutting out grazing on Christmas left overs plus upping the mileage will sort it! :-) G
Jan 2018
9:18am, 5 Jan 2018
37,477 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm still a little torn between "plan to become as light as possible so that I can run as fast as possible, just one more time, or maybe once as I enter each new vet category" and "FFS, you're a fiftysomething woman, if you lose muscle it'll be nearly impossible to regain it and then you'll die of being weak and falling down".

At the moment it doesn't matter. My training has been so scanty that my weight isn't a limiter on my running speed. In fact, I don't belong on this thread at all at the moment because I fail the "train heavily" criterion.
Jan 2018
6:18pm, 5 Jan 2018
310 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Me too v, I didn't realise the thread criteria was so strict
Jan 2018
7:12pm, 5 Jan 2018
37,493 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Back when it started, there were various "lose a lot of weight" and "lose a stone or thereabouts" threads and it made a lot of sense for normal weight people who'd be laughed out of most commercial slimming groups to be steered away from these threads, where they (we!) would be a nuisance, to a place where they (we!) were able to say, "I know I'm not overweight, but I still want to lose weight in order to run faster without compromising my ability to manage a large training load," and have a little community of people who understood and shared a similar experience. We had some brilliant input, and I still feel that although the thread might have been a bad place for someone prone to restrictive eating disorders to lurk, it would be a shame if keen non-elite athletes couldn't discuss the weight and diet issue openly in case an eavesdropper was harmed.

I don't think we were actually banned from eating kumquats, but who would want to? ;)
Jan 2018
7:23pm, 5 Jan 2018
8,722 posts
  •  
Ness
I think it’s a fine balancing act for some.

I’m currently at 9 stone 9 pounds at the the end of two weeks of being off work. Only a little bit over my average but the consultant who did my hip resurfacing in 2003 advised me that I’d be better off not carrying too much weight. As a result, I’m happier if I can keep my weight down to what it was when I got married in 1995... 9 stone 5 pounds. Hopefully I’ll be back to that by my first race of the year.
Mar 2018
10:05pm, 20 Mar 2018
151 posts
  •  
Julii
Ooh! Me me, may I join thread?
So I am 64 kg thinking that I might run & swim faster if I got down to 60 kg (BMI just < 20).
I have a 10-15 week plan to do that, which involves severe calorie counting one day a week (rest day of course) & trying to exert self-restraint the rest of the time.

Or I may be nuts. The jury's still out.

off to read old posts & see if this kind of weight loss did help anyone get faster.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rach E
The thread for people who aren't "fat", but need to lose a few pounds to be at their racing best.

Criteria for entry:
- You must "look slim" and, if you say you want to lose weight to a "normal" member of the public, are greeted with the response "Why the f*ck do you need to lose weight?".
- You do not have a large amount to lose, but need to lose a small amount to get to "ideal racing weight".
- Typically, you will train heavily so food intake will need to match training levels.
- Fad diets (e.g. the eating 20 kumquats before dawn and starving for the rest of the day diet) is not allowed.
- Once your BMI reaches 18.5, you will be banned from losing any more weight. Equally, if you have more than a stone or so to lose, you may get better results from some of the other dieting threads. We'll probably only lose 0.5lbs to 1lb a week at best here