HappyG(rrr)
44% maybe! :-) G
SPR
Sep 2022
9:14am, 20 Sep 2022
38,316 posts
  •  
SPR
Interesting to see that the 'basic' Nike Rival Distance (all-rounder really as can be used for most events) spike now looks like a knock off Dragonfly.

nike.com
Sep 2022
9:24am, 20 Sep 2022
43,908 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I can report a best WAVA for a couple of years and about 1-1.5 minutes faster at 10K a week ago with the Vaporfly. No idea if the shoes "did it", but good experience so far.

Probably trying a tarmac, flattish 5K (parkrun) this weekend for first time in a while. Will see what that produces.

Are there multiple models of these now? I think my ones are called Nike ZoomX Vaporfly Next% 2. Is the 2 a second version? Are there other Next%? What is Alphafly v. Vaporfly etc?

Cheers, :-) G
Sep 2022
9:50am, 20 Sep 2022
5,523 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
G: there's really only 2 Nike shoes that you need to worry about at the top end. There's the next% that is aka the vaporfly - this is the shoe that looks most normal and relies on the magic foam / C-plate for propulsion. Then there is the alphafly which has the air pods in the front, a higher stack height and a more space age look.

As far as I can tell the other names are more about slight differences in uppers, less to worry about imho.

There's also a streakfly, a zoomfly, a tempo and perhaps others but it's vaporfly or alphafly at the top of the range.

Hope this helps.
Sep 2022
10:14am, 20 Sep 2022
43,914 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Magic WW, thanks. Yes, had seen tempo, zoomfly etc but they didn't seem to have the carbon plate, so didn't think it was those I wanted. Didn't know the difference between vapor and alpha so thanks for that too.

Any idea about the "version 2"? What has changed? Mine was titled 2, but the inner has 2021 on it. And I got it in sale so may well be an older model.

They seem very flimsy (upper) and I've seen folk pointing and sole wear too, after only 100 odd miles. How long would one expect them to last? I am used to doing 1,000 mile plus in Inov-8 off road shoes. Presumably nothing like that long! :-) G
Sep 2022
10:26am, 20 Sep 2022
5,524 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I believe that the v2 of the next% differs mainly in the upper versus v1 but otherwise largely the same.

Wear is very personal. Some on here kill them in 100 miles or less. I used a pair for nearly 700 miles….
Sep 2022
10:27am, 20 Sep 2022
4 posts
  •  
Lunge
V2 has a different upper to V1, it's a touch more sturdy and a little more roomy. The sole units are identical. I prefer the upper of the V1, but there's not much on it.

In terms of life span, it'll depend on what you run on and how heavy you are, but I got to over 200 miles in my first pair before I started to notice a change in feel. They were still very usable, just lost a bit of "pop" for racing, I used them for another 200 ish miles for faster training runs at which point the outsole started to fall off. The racing was all roads, the training involved a few gravel tracks and canal towpaths which likely accounted for the outsole damage.
Sep 2022
10:30am, 20 Sep 2022
43,917 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks WW and Lunge both.

I am under 75kg, but I tend to wear down my shoes unevenly. I do most of my training off road - rocks, gravel, mud etc. But would only plan on wearing these for tarmac races, time trial or tarmac intervals (which the club doesn't do much of).

Do you use them on 400m track? I don't wear spikes on track any more, so normally would do track in "normal" trainers.

Fingers crossed re. wear. Though I see Vrap said she gets hers on eBay cheap and seems to have several on the go. :-) G
Sep 2022
10:46am, 20 Sep 2022
59,828 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
600 miles on my oldest VF4%, the uppers are in perfect condition and they're still nice to run in though the soles look a bit battered under my metatarsals. I probably do about half of my training runs in them now. My next proper going-for-a-time race is in late November so after Chester Marathon is out of the way I'll crack out my Alphaflys (cheapish due to being an out of date colour) and see how I get on with them.
Sep 2022
10:57am, 20 Sep 2022
43,919 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hang on - 4%? Is that different to Next%?!

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org