The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
Sep 2022
5:18pm, 5 Sep 2022
463 posts
  •  
Sjjh
I've got a few pairs of the £25 Kalenji shoes which I do most of my training in. No justification to buy these at that price point. Be interesting to see how they stack up against the rest.
Sep 2022
2:31pm, 8 Sep 2022
43,766 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I thought the box was empty! :-O (soooo light).

Is it OK to wear them in the rain (or even damp like today up here)? As they appear to be made out of tissue paper and candyfloss, might they just melt in the rain?! :-) G
jda
Sep 2022
2:39pm, 8 Sep 2022
13,346 posts
  •  
jda
Indoor use only HG, preferably carpet :-)

I think I wore my first pair of VF through deep puddles in the Dent race one year. They did squeak for a while after that but recovered. They drain well through the thin mesh upper, that's one strong point :-)
Sep 2022
2:48pm, 8 Sep 2022
43,768 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
jda, I want to race in them on Sunday. I have to do at least a couple of training runs in them before then. So tonight in the rain will have to be one of them. I recognise that I can't return them after that!

I've never been able to tell if shoes are going to be good until I've done 100 miles in them. So I think I just have to accept that I can't return them, if they don't suit me.

I've put them on and they seem to fit OK. They feel totally weird of course (I usually were Inov-8 trail shoes and haven't worn a built up, cushioned traditional runner for years - so couldn't be more different!)

As long as they don't actually break my foot or cause me to fall and knock myself out while bouncing along, then they'll be OK for the race, I'm sure. They can't make me go any slower! :-) G
jda
Sep 2022
2:57pm, 8 Sep 2022
13,348 posts
  •  
jda
Definitely worth going for a trial run or two. I remember them feeling very strange for the first few minutes. So much bounce!
Sep 2022
2:59pm, 8 Sep 2022
59,668 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
They're fine on wet tarmac. I second the advice to practise running in them before the race. The feel of them can take a bit of getting used to.
SPR
Sep 2022
3:32pm, 8 Sep 2022
38,204 posts
  •  
SPR
I think they can technically make you go slower if you're a non-responder although I don't think I've ever seen that in any group study (would need to look at detail rather than summary)?
Sep 2022
6:37pm, 8 Sep 2022
23,460 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I would be careful in the wet until you are used to them. I still take care on corners.
Sep 2022
10:08pm, 8 Sep 2022
43,780 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Felt surprising normal after a bit. Very light. Def make you ping along! I expect a 29 min 10k on Sunday now, is that right? :-) G
SPR
Sep 2022
10:15pm, 8 Sep 2022
38,213 posts
  •  
SPR
Is that 4%?

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org