The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
Jun 2021
11:13am, 23 Jun 2021
243 posts
  •  
AJLB
"5k road pursuits". 11th July in Leicester. At the top of the poster it says "Sorry no carbon plate shoes".
SPR
Jun 2021
7:07pm, 25 Jun 2021
34,564 posts
  •  
SPR
Zoom Air Victory Review: believeintherun.com
Jul 2021
8:29am, 2 Jul 2021
363 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
More Vaporfly being used for track races at Leamington Open and Club Champs (5000) last night

Same athlete I noticed had worn Next% a few weeks back to run a 10000 there was among the offenders, so I can't give him the benefit of the doubt about not knowing the rules now. A spectator asked him afterwards about wearing them and he said some others were still doing it, nobody seems to mind.

This guy wins races as well, so it's not a back of pack situation. Interestingly, he has claimed a different pair of shoes on his strava (whereas for the 10000 he didn't have a problem saying what he was wearing on there)

Grumblings from others in the race on their strava activities commenting that they thought certain shoes were banned from track.

Suggests to me that Leamington AC are not up for telling athletes to respect the rules, which can only create more conflict among athletes.
Jul 2021
9:08am, 2 Jul 2021
12,912 posts
  •  
ITG 🇮🇸
I have not yet recovered from a blood donation so dropped from a planned half down to a 10km. I had also been feeling awful for 24 hours, with gut problems, waves of nausea and slight fever (38). I wasn't even sure I would start and had doubts I would finish as I grabbed an imodium 1hr before the start.

Then I took 37 sec of a 7yo PB wearing the Next%.

That is def not attributable to my training or condition.

Quite a lot of Nike carbon plate shoes around, not only at the pointy end, though I couldn't tell you which model. Not sure what the man who set the 5km course record was wearing.
jda
Jul 2021
9:25am, 2 Jul 2021
10,445 posts
  •  
jda
Sounds a mess fuzzy, having a rule and not enforcing it just penalises the more conscientious/obedient athletes.
SPR
Jul 2021
9:32am, 2 Jul 2021
34,678 posts
  •  
SPR
Yes, I saw a mention of supershoes being used on a clubmate's Strava. I'd have been annoyed if I was doing the race. Leamington will probably say it's a low key race but others are allowed to enter and it's still going up as an official time.

At least one clubmate has bought specific non-spike shoes to comply with the rule as he's not comfortable in spikes (standard ones anyway).

If that guy is doing MK, he should definitely be DQd there.
SPR
Jul 2021
9:34am, 2 Jul 2021
34,679 posts
  •  
SPR
MK has been quite clear in publicising the information well in advance so anyone that turns up in supershoes is trying it on IMO.
Jul 2021
9:35am, 2 Jul 2021
14,970 posts
  •  
larkim
All pretty much entirely predictable though.
Jul 2021
12:25pm, 2 Jul 2021
366 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Think the fairest way for organisers to keep everyone happy is to say people showing up in Vaporfly are welcome to run, but they won't be listed in the results as they haven't followed race rules.

And that would soon change the behaviour of those trying it on.
SPR
Jul 2021
12:28pm, 2 Jul 2021
34,682 posts
  •  
SPR
FD - That's more admin than just stopping them running.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org