The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
SPR
Jun 2021
3:59pm, 19 Jun 2021
34,509 posts
  •  
SPR
There's not much hope of being able to police it in medium to large road races TBH. It would be way too onerous

The Prime X look to be a supercharged Adios Pro which in theory should be fast.
jda
Jun 2021
5:16pm, 19 Jun 2021
10,388 posts
  •  
jda
I was also wondering if there could be any penalty for organisers who openly said they would turn a blind eye. After all there’s a level of competition below which doping control is not implemented even though theoretically perhaps it could be.
Jun 2021
6:20pm, 19 Jun 2021
338 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Wouldn't expect an organiser to publicly state that, but perhaps not allowing results from that race to be made official (ie not shown on powerof10 / RunBritain) would make them think twice.

That would penalise runners who had stuck to the rules, but many serious runners might then swerve the organiser in future.

I think these 50mm shoes are too similar looking to the other Adidas shoes released same time to definitively identify them in race pics, so the chances of getting away with using them would be high.

It would put me off racing in any Adidas shoes now, there will be some who get confused about which shoe it is, and false accusations could fly.
Jun 2021
10:44am, 22 Jun 2021
1,451 posts
  •  
Tizer
I managed to get a pair of the Adios Pro and the Prime X through early access on Adidas. Tried them both on. The Pro are definitely an upgrade from the previous shoe. Seem a little more stable but not a patch on the Vaporfly or the Endorphin Pro. The Prime X are ridiculous tbh. Way too big in stack height and would be very unstable to run in I expect.
Jun 2021
11:12am, 22 Jun 2021
14,848 posts
  •  
larkim
I can see race organisers looking at the prize winners only. It's just not worth the effort to look beyond that unless there is some other impact of the shoe.

But maybe we'll start to see a slew of v50 2nd place runners spotting the photo of the category winner in illegal shoes and challenging the result post race etc.

I can see some local disputes arising in league races where each place counts quite deep through the field, it will depend on the local organisers' attitudes I think. They can't say "wear what you want" and comply with UKA requirements, but I suspect a few will want to be a little lenient at least in the first couple of seasons.
SPR
Jun 2021
11:17am, 22 Jun 2021
34,537 posts
  •  
SPR
I don't think there should be any lenience with 40mm+. No one would have worn them before supershoes came into existence so there's absolutely no reason to not enforce from that perspective. The only issue is that it's not easy to enforce.

Same applies to drugs. If it was known someone was on EPO then they wouldn't be allowed to race. It's just that you wouldn't have the means to know.
SPR
Jun 2021
11:27am, 22 Jun 2021
34,538 posts
  •  
SPR
The VF rule was enforced at track league on Sunday. A couple of women in the 3000 had to change their shoes. Possible that it made a difference to the race as well.
Jun 2021
11:45am, 22 Jun 2021
14,850 posts
  •  
larkim
In principle I don't disagree SPR. But in any race of more than about 100 people it's simply not possible for organisers to even cast a cursory glance at everyone's shoes, whether they are 40mm+ or not.

Prevention is better than cure of course. A pre-race note which emphasises the rule, a bullet point which says that prize winners' shoes may be checked, etc should address any real controversies. If the 17th place v45 PBs whilst on EPO and in illegal shoes, no-one really cares and as you say the drugs cheats (if there are any at that level) will be untested in any event.
J2R
Jun 2021
11:52am, 22 Jun 2021
3,678 posts
  •  
J2R
As long as it's clear that the rules are in force, I think peer pressure will stand in for official enforcement. Most runners would not want those around them to think they're cheats. For this to apply, though, it needs to be clear to everyone what the rules are.
Jun 2021
12:14pm, 22 Jun 2021
342 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
From James_Athletics on twitter two days ago:

"The inconsistency in UKA's shoe rule being applied or otherwise is mad. I've been in low key opens where people have been warned or DQed, yet this is the winner of the Southern Athletics League 5000m today in 15:20-ish. If you're going to have a rule, at least enforce it."

I think things will settle down quite soon, and the rules will be followed by vast majority. Interesting that some believe VF offer no advantage over spikes (I tend to think otherwise, but open minded to more data there)

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org