The vaporfly thread

6 lurkers | 88 watchers
Apr 2021
2:37am, 10 Apr 2021
4,165 posts
  •  
Kieren
Interesting, thanks. I suppose it's only fair to make the target reflect the shift. I think I'm not far away from GFA now but certainly don't feel like I've put in enough work to be good for my age.

I bought myself the Nike Zoom Fly 3 in the sale. They have a carbon plate but not the bouncy pebax-zoomX foam. Instead they use react foam which is firmer and uses a synthetic rubber blend.

I've only been running 5K TTs in them. I don't notice an improvement on the flat but it's definitely easier going up the 2% incline on my route.

I dont use them for speedwork. I worry (without evidence) that they unload the plantar fascia so might open me up to injury.

My only experience of zoomX is on Nike's Invincible Run. I don't like that much. The squish gives a lag between touching the ground and bottoming out. I was going to return them but that waffle style outsole is loud that is sounds like 5 people running in step. That has been beneficial for city running as pedestrians hear me coming and clear the path. In those shoes I no longer have to scrape my shoe, say excuse me, etc
Apr 2021
2:14pm, 10 Apr 2021
35,590 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Are the Next % 2 as good as the originals. Tried my first pairs of 4% mustard only issue the top layer looks like it’s come off on the heel about 2cm long.
Apr 2021
4:47pm, 10 Apr 2021
4,439 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Not tried them, but lots of youtube vids comparing Next% 1 & 2 HOD.
It's only the upper that's changed ( midsole and outsole identical ) and the main changes being pointed out are :
1. the knit type upper on v2 is better than the Vapourweave on v1
2. they've added a small amount of padding at the top of the tongue so you can cinch the laces tight without it digging into the top of your foot
3. there's a bit of an overlay added around the toebox to give a bit of structure and extra height in the toe area.

Only negative is that the weight has gone up a little bit.

The price has come down £30 :-) which I guess reflects the serious competition from all the other brands
Apr 2021
10:23pm, 10 Apr 2021
35,591 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Thanks I think that covers it I hope to get my Nike birthday discount next month and I will get them.
Apr 2021
6:22am, 11 Apr 2021
73,845 posts
  •  
Gobi
I still using a pair of 4% as my training shoe. They are holding up well to what little mileage I do.

Will be interesting to see how i race when it all starts again. Data from late 2019 through to when it all stopped in 2020 showed no signs of miracle pace however I like the shoes.
Apr 2021
10:06am, 11 Apr 2021
35,592 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Have you got a picture of the sole ?
Apr 2021
11:49am, 11 Apr 2021
73,847 posts
  •  
Gobi
I.will take one later
Apr 2021
5:51pm, 11 Apr 2021
418 posts
  •  
Lee78
Absolutely love my blue 4% and gutted they discontinued them!
Apr 2021
5:54pm, 11 Apr 2021
52,179 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I have a second pair of blue 4%. And possibly an orange pair or two. The first pair has done 176 miles now and I reckon it's good for the same amount again.
Apr 2021
7:00pm, 11 Apr 2021
73,850 posts
  •  
Gobi
First pair of orange did 500 plus miles

I have a blue pair I'm training in and an orange pair I'm keeping for racing.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org