The use of water /stroke gels on runs!

1 watcher
May 2015
7:31pm, 10 May 2015
142 posts
  •  
RedAlex76
Hi everyone

A quick question for you to help me progress my running for the rest of the year.....

What distances / time running would you introduce taking water with you??

What sort of distances are gels/ snacks most useful for??

Currently I am running 10k and just over distances around the hour mark and finding that I don't need to take water or food with me but in the next few weeks I will be increasing he length of my 'long' runs to build up to a goal of running 10 miles regularly and your advice would be most appreciated as I make my progress in number of miles run each time.
May 2015
7:36pm, 10 May 2015
11,205 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I rarely take anything with me for runs up to an hour unless it's a very hot day.

Up to 2 hour runs I take a small bottle of water and 50 percent of the time I forget to drink any if it.

If I am running longer than 13 miles I take some sports beans and water.
May 2015
7:51pm, 10 May 2015
9 posts
  •  
GeneHunt59
Roughly how long do energy gels start to kick in after you take them. I am running my first HM in June and want to try some out in training before then. I'm hoping to get round in just under 2 hours, but could take anything up to 2:09 I guess.
May 2015
7:52pm, 10 May 2015
6,506 posts
  •  
Carpathius
I take water in the summer for even short runs as my mouth gets dry. In the winter I don't bother unless I'm doing over about twelve miles. I don't use gels usually but will eat the odd jelly baby on 17+ mile runs more as a comfort thing than anything else. Beyond 20 mile I find biscuits/fig rolls work nicely.
May 2015
7:53pm, 10 May 2015
167 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
I seem to read everywhere that you shouldn't need any sort of gels etc. if the run is less than 90 minutes. Generally make sure that you are hydrated generally by sipping water throughout the day. Having said that I have a run that I do that is over 11 miles and takes just over 90 minutes so I don't bother with any gels or water. Warmer weather will make you probably lose more water from your body and the thinking currently is "drink to thirst".
May 2015
7:54pm, 10 May 2015
563 posts
  •  
westmoors
Up to an hour I don't take anything. Over an hour I will probably take a small bottle (150 ml) of sports drink. Over two hours I also take gels with me. Whether or not I drink/use them depends on how I'm feeling!
May 2015
8:00pm, 10 May 2015
6,065 posts
  •  
lammo
I haven't ever taken anything for runs in the UK up to 17 miles, I was thirsty when I got back mind...
May 2015
8:40pm, 10 May 2015
11,300 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
It all depends on the temperature, and whether you drink a load before setting out. Two hours in winter, one hour most of the time, less in high summer. There's quite a gap between "I wish I had some water with me" to "I'm getting seriously worried about dehydration".

I have been known to beg water off householders when a shortish run in a new place has turned into a long run.
May 2015
8:41pm, 10 May 2015
5,356 posts
  •  
100forRNIB
2-3 hours, no water, no fuel, but it's individualistic. Some people take gels before a 5-miler and take on water during a parkrun!!!!
May 2015
8:55pm, 10 May 2015
5,970 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
If its not warm I don't bother with water for anything up to about 9 miles, I only use gels for 10 miles on, and then usually only as practice for a race. I tend to use sweets the rest of the time. I find gels take around 10 minutes to kick in, caffeine sweets are a bit more instant.

About This Thread

Maintained by RedAlex76
Hi everyone

A quick question for you to help me progress my running for the rest of the year.......

Fetch Shirts and Vests

Preorder your long sleeve, short sleeve and vests by the end of January for delivery in February.

Track Your Exercise Reps

Press ups, sit ups, dips, squats - track it all here

The Ultra League

See the longest runs, rides, swims and walks from any given year on Fetcheveryone

Trader

Use your credits to buy and sell runners to make a profit. And 14 Fetch Virtual Badges up for grabs. Just for fun!

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 109,854 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here