The ugly side of the London Marathon 2019 #NotInclusive

18 watchers
May 2019
11:57am, 6 May 2019
3,001 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I still think that's quite a large number of deferrals and non-drop outs as a percentage of the overall field size. Although the organisers won't know how many will actually take part on the day, they must surely allow for it and have a reasonable time gap between the walkers and the sweep/clean up vehicles.
May 2019
4:42pm, 6 May 2019
74 posts
  •  
KeithL
Fragile it’s an interesting point if the addition of 6:30/7:00/7:30 pacers encouraged more people who might have deferred. Hadn’t really thought about it but it’s certainly a good working assumption. Not sure how many this would have accounted for or if the normal distribution curve of finishes moved significantly this year ( compared to years other than last years heat wave)
May 2019
7:41am, 7 May 2019
4,416 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Going off on a slight tangent, it seems Guinness World Records have a rather outdated idea of what nurses wear.

nytimes.com
May 2019
7:47am, 7 May 2019
12,503 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I loved the counter argument that chefs had to run in full whites carrying a large pot
May 2019
7:52am, 7 May 2019
4,417 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Maybe a nurse should have to run pushing a drugs trolley to get the record. 😅
May 2019
8:01am, 7 May 2019
14,532 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
The thing is though, if someone else has previously set the record wearing a costume to the original spec ,then you cant just change the rules.
May 2019
8:14am, 7 May 2019
1,084 posts
  •  
oumaumau
I think you underestimate the power of the social media bandwagon there Bazoaxe....
Technically the girl (lady) who collapsed before crossing the line was the fastest nurse that day (unless there was a faster one who didn't identify as a nurse?) but then that doesn't make as compelling a story ;)
May 2019
8:26am, 7 May 2019
14,535 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
ah, but she wasn't dressed as a nurse so doesn't qualify !
May 2019
8:30am, 7 May 2019
75 posts
  •  
KeithL
The whole GWR thing at the VMLM is now just a huge PR stunt for both the GWR people and VMLM. I see no reason why they wont change any and all rules to aid PR.
May 2019
9:13am, 7 May 2019
1,085 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Baz, what if she had been on the ward in her running gear? Should she then qualify?

Obviously not... My comment was more a dig at GWR crumbling under social media outcry pressure - I think we can all agree it's easier to run in scrubs than a pinafore and apron ('carry-on nurse' outfit, whatever you want to call it) and while an admirable run, I think that lady is taking the piss a bit.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Not everyone is a speedy one, some of us are slow and proud, and I was encouraged when I saw that Lo...