The sub-5 hour marathon thread

20 watchers
Dec 2018
9:48am, 12 Dec 2018
11,296 posts
  •  
Rosehip
There are threads for most other round number marathon time targets, but I can't find one for sub 5.

Declaring now that this is my A* target for Boston (UK) next year and wondering if anyone else has the same aim for their Spring 2019 target.

My PB is 5.26 and I haven't "run" further than half distance since June 16.

I ran-walked both GER and St Neots halves at sub-5 pace, neither "flat out", so have some hope that 2019 might be my year - if I can be consistent.

All help and advice very welcome.
Dec 2018
11:34am, 12 Dec 2018
1,051 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Hey Rosehip, well done for putting your target out there and best wishes for you achieving your goal.

You’ve got some great experience already so I reckon you probably know what it takes. My, entirely unoriginal, advice would be that if you could build up a higher mileage base and add more long runs later in your plan, you would reap significant rewards. Obviously the caveats about doing this gradually and at a predominantly easy pace (‘your’ easy pace)
Dec 2018
11:36am, 12 Dec 2018
1,052 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Whoops, premature communication!

....apply.

I know that finding the time for additional and longer runs can be tricky but it has been the key for me.
Dec 2018
1:53pm, 12 Dec 2018
4,326 posts
  •  
minardi
Hi Rosehip - I shall look forward to seeing you in Boston - at least there are no hills for you to worry about; just hope you aren't allergic to cabbage ;-)

I may try to join you on that sub-5 challenge. I know I've done it in the past but this year has failed miserably! Time to get back on the time wagon, me thinks!
Dec 2018
2:00pm, 12 Dec 2018
11,300 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Be good to have you on board Minardi :)

Not allergic to cabbage but worried about the potential for an unfavourable wind (weather not cabbage related that is;))
Dec 2018
2:03pm, 12 Dec 2018
11,301 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Thank you SS.

The finding time for proper long runs does become more of an issue when you're running at 12mm...

The issue I've also had before is that once time on feet gets over say 3 1/2 hours, is the law of diminishing returns of benefit over complete knackeredness.
Dec 2018
3:14pm, 12 Dec 2018
1,053 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Yep, I get that Rh, it is a long time on your feet and I know that you already know how those last 8 miles or so feel on race day.

As long as you can stay injury-free, anything that can condition one to be ready for the inevitable pain/slog/grind, however you want to put it, of the latter miles is money in the bank when the going gets tough; pushing that point back to as late in the race as possible has a direct correlation to my enjoyment of a marathon.
Dec 2018
3:23pm, 12 Dec 2018
4,327 posts
  •  
minardi
Due to the course of the Boston race, the wind is inevitable unfortunately - if you don't get it on the way out, you sure as hell will get it on the way back but I'd rather have the wind than hills!! Mind you saying that, my marathon peebee was on a hilly looped course!
Dec 2018
3:25pm, 12 Dec 2018
20,449 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Run walk? How do you feel about run walk, from the start, not once you're tired, assuming you are after the time, rather than 'running' a marathon.
Dec 2018
3:29pm, 12 Dec 2018
4,329 posts
  •  
minardi
This year I tried run/walk on my long runs to see if it made any difference. I was surprised that the overall speed came out about the same as if I'd tried running all the way and also disappointed to note that I still got knackered at about the same distance in!

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
There are threads for most other round number marathon time targets, but I can't find one for ...